• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Surface Corrosion is a pain to get off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BD5builder

Well, i got started on the partially completed BD5 i bought yesterday. The first order of business was removing the exterior and interior surface corrosion it had built up. It didn't look all that bad, but after 2 sets of scotch brite pads later and 2 hands with no feeling, i have come to the conclusion that.. THIS CRAP SUCKS! lol. But anyways, i'm planning on just going of the corroded areas w/ a light coat of zinc chromate primer, until i get the whole airframe complete (i have a new kit coming) then i'm going to???? with it.

So i'm under the understanding from when i got my A&P that zinc chromate will be fine for a temporary corrosion barrier, but since i'm in florida, i should etch and alodine it before finish painting it. Am i correct with this understanding, or should i just go ahead and strip the coat of paint thats already on the fuselage and go ahead and etch and alodine it (even though there's still ALOT of work left on it.

Thx,
thomas

Back