• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 1 and dimensions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vector

Hi All,
I am still in search of a project but in the mean time, I thought I should get some data on the Sonerai I. I understand the length is about 16- 8" from nose cone to tail. Also from reading around, the cockpit is about 20-5/8" wide and 31-1/8" long excluding leg room.
Could someone building one or with experience kindly tell me the distance from the seat to the firewall and from the seat to the tail post.

I am sorry if this has been covered before. I am still making my way through several pages of the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Falcon....Mine measures 52" from the front bottom of seat back to firewall, and 56" from seat back to firewall at the upper longeron level.
For taller guys, the rudder pedals can be moved forward a couple more inches without having a problem with hitting the firewall....Ed F.

Thanks Ed. Is it possible to build an S1 as wide as an S2 and then use the S2 cowl. Pretty much build an S1 for someone bigger. Has this being done before; any thoughts on this? I understand there might be minute weight changes.

Thanks again.

Yes, it is possible, and at least one Sonerai 1 was built using the sonerai 2 lower cowl. although it was modified. As with any mod of this magnitude, you are venturing into unknown territory, and actually building a prototype. I think the rear spar carry thru angle would need to be looked at carefully, as when it gets longer, it may need to be strengthened...Maybe a better plan is to just build a Sonerai 2, and fly it as a single seater, as many have done..Ed

I know where a formula V cowling is, at I'm trying to aquire it, hopefully I can get a mold made from it before they are all gone, who used to make these, Monett?

For a While, The late Mike Core made them for Monnett....Rattray made a few similar ones, the aft cheeks on the Rattray one are shaped different.....Ed

Rattray indeed still will make you one (1250.00 :eek:) 3 piece cowling, he says same as original prototype Sonerai 1.

Back