• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Slepcev Storch Documents

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BELinNC

Hello, I have a Slepcev Storch project I am working on. I am looking for any documentation related to this type of replica Storch such as check lists, pilot operating handbook, assembly manual etc. Willing to pay reasonable fees for anything related. Thanks

BELinNC

Blane.c, That is Awesome! Thanks so much for the posting this info on the storch. This will be very helpful for reference as I work on my project. Can I offer some compensation?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
You are welcome.

We are cool. Didn't cost anything.

If you want copies of plans it'll take some $ because I will have to pay for that.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I have a lot of information on the original full sized Fiesler Storch. One thing that stands out to me is that they did extensive testing with it and the fixed slot wing has an unusual way of stalling at about 120mph so later models had movable slots on the leading edge, also the Helio Courier had moveable leading edge slots (spring loaded).

Victorindia

Hello, I have a Slepcev Storch project I am working on. I am looking for any documentation related to this type of replica Storch such as check lists, pilot operating handbook, assembly manual etc. Willing to pay reasonable fees for anything related. Thanks
Hi there. I guess you are in the U.S. Is the project a kit or from plans? is it the UL or VLA version? Would like to see the progress. I have been trying to obtain a Slepcev Storch but kits are no longer available and here in the UK the only authorised version is the homebuilt VLA. If you know anyone else who has a kit or a hombuilt VLA Storch for sale I am seriously interested. Thanks

BELinNC

Hello
Good luck on your search! I am really having fun with my project. Mine was a kit consisting of new and used parts. It is a Slepcev Storch SS-4 which I believe would equate to a VLA version. I was never quite sure what the difference was between this and the ultralight UL? version. If all goes well mine will be classified here in the US as an experimental amateur built EAB. I got mine from the designer Nestor Slepcev. It was a long and expensive process getting it here from Serbia. Since then a couple flying examples have come up for sale here in the states and I could have bought one cheaper than what I have in mine money wise, but I really enjoy the building part of the process and should be able to get the repairman certificate by building it myself. I have Mr. slepcev's email if you want it. I got the impression that Mr. Slepcev is semi or fully retired and not making kits anymore. He was acting kind of as a trader/broker when I dealt with him last year and he had a couple completed Storches available (not necessarily with him in Serbia) plus one of his full size replicas with a russian radial engine. The thing is when I bought my kit he didn't really have it in his possession. He had to get it shipped to him from customer of his in France first and it took forever and was a little confusing and worrisome deal. It all worked out eventually! I will let you know if I hear of anything that is or becomes available. I can't wait to get mine flying.

Victorindia

Hello.
Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. I would love to see your progress so here is my email if you would like to send details or photos at any time. Also if you have Nestor's email address that would be great. I know the old address and phone number is out of use but to be able to contact him would be terrific. As to the difference the UL version has fabric covered wings and the VLA has metal covered wings. The UL is 450kg MAUW and the VLA is 600kg MAUW. There is a UL for sale in Sweden which I was interested in buying but then discovered the Light Aircraft Association here in UK has not authorised the UL(ultralight) only the VLA (very light aircraft) .https://planecheck.com/eu/index.asp?ent=da&id=51315&cor=y
There was one in Priest River Idaho Slepcev Storch For Sale: "The Ultimate STOL Aircraft"
But that is UL. Also the peculiar conditions of the LAA here requires that the VLA must be homebuilt i.e 51%. They do not accept a factory built version. All a bit unfortunate but I think things are much easier in the U.S with the Experimental category.
Anyway thanks again for the info here is my email and if you can let me have Nestor's that would be brilliant.
Keep in contact
Best wishes
Phil

[email protected]

TFF

Ultralight doesn’t mean the same thing in the US. Both would be experimental in the US assuming you are building. It either has to be 51% or more or import a flying plane with whatever license that it will end up with. One of the factory built in Australia is in Mississippi, USA. It’s a project now. Got blown over in wind I think. One wing mangled. It sat in a hangar across from mine for years waiting to be fixed.

I would put the chance of finding one pretty rare. One close enough to get your hands on, even less. Very cool as I could look at one. Big plane, tall.

hellschoener

Hello,
How far along are you with your Storch project? I built a Selpcev Storch in 2009 and actually visited Nestor in Australia in 2002 and the in Serbia 2007.
My Storch's wings are aluminum covered and it is driven by a Rotax 912 ULS 100HP. It is a joy to fly, without any nasty characteristics.
It shines, of course, in the slow flight realm. In an about 8 mph headwind I had it down to 16mph groundspeed!(GPS).
It clocked almost 700 hours so far. In case you need any information, building suggestions etc, send me an email, [email protected]
Cheers Helmut

Attachments

Victorindia

Hello.
Thanks for that Helmut. Your Storch looks great! You have the VLA version then which is what I am looking for. There is only one VLA homebuilt Slepcev Storch in U.K. but the owner doesn't wish to sell. According to the document (attached) there are 114 built so where are they all? There must be one out there for me somewhere. If anyone does come across one please let me know.

Also I'm interested to know what resources you have blane.c you mention in the thread that you have info on the Fi 156. I have quite a few books but you may well have other stuff.

Attachments

BELinNC

Wow Helmut, that is a beautiful example of a Slepcev Storch! One of the nicest I have seen. It is very refreshing to see one in a more of a civil-non ww2 paint scheme (although I may go with a military paint scheme on mine!) What is the significance/meaning of the markings on the rear of the fuselage? 700 hours in your Storch must make you one of the highest time Storch pilots around! I could really use your help in some areas. I will email you soon.
Phil, my kit serial number is 188 so there at least that many Slepcev Storches around the world minus any attrition. Hopefully one will come your way. By the way Nestor had indicated to me that they have been very popular in Italy over the years. Must be quite a few there.

hellschoener

Hello.
Thanks for that Helmut. Your Storch looks great! You have the VLA version then which is what I am looking for. There is only one VLA homebuilt Slepcev Storch in U.K. but the owner doesn't wish to sell. According to the document (attached) there are 114 built so where are they all? There must be one out there for me somewhere. If anyone does come across one please let me know.

Also I'm interested to know what resources you have blane.c you mention in the thread that you have info on the Fi 156. I have quite a few books but you may well have other stuff.
The history of the development of the FI 156 is very interesting, in spite of the dark cloud of the Nazis and WW2 connected with it.
I can highly recommend the book "Gerhard Fieseler, the man behind the Storch" by Nigel Holden. In my opinion, a very objective and accurate
description of this event, a must read for Storch afficionados.
I do have a separate set of plans, Nestor sold before the kit came on the market and a very funny short video on VCR, one of Nestor's first single seater
Storchs with a Rotax 503. It shows the Storch flying into the wind ( wind-sock showing about 8-10 mph) being outrun by a human runner below it.
I also have a little pilot manual. Could make a copy if you wanted one.
Cheers Helmut

hellschoener

Wow Helmut, that is a beautiful example of a Slepcev Storch! One of the nicest I have seen. It is very refreshing to see one in a more of a civil-non ww2 paint scheme (although I may go with a military paint scheme on mine!) What is the significance/meaning of the markings on the rear of the fuselage? 700 hours in your Storch must make you one of the highest time Storch pilots around! I could really use your help in some areas. I will email you soon.
Phil, my kit serial number is 188 so there at least that many Slepcev Storches around the world minus any attrition. Hopefully one will come your way. By the way Nestor had indicated to me that they have been very popular in Italy over the years. Must be quite a few there.
Thank you for your interest and compliments. The sign on the rear fuselage is the flag of the Yukon Territory, Canada, no military stuff.
The flying characteristics of the Storch are actually so gentle and friendly that it is difficult to connect it with the usual violent and aggressive military
image of war planes. If you have any questions, I am glad to help.
Cheers Helmut

Victorindia

Hi Helmut and BELinNC. Yes I have the Nigel Holden too. Its good - also a recent publication is 'The Fiesler Fi 156 Storch The first STOL aircraft' by Jan Forsgren pub.2021 also useful.
Serial 188 so there is hope that there are more out there. Perhaps I'll find one in Italy! Unfortunately under the UK LAA conditions we can't build the Storch from plans. Just another anomoly of the English system.
Do you have Nestor's number/ email? either of you. I still want to contact him if I can.
Phil