Quantcast

Sky pup

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Taylor.S

i would like to build a sky pup like airplane with limited space could i shorten the fuselage to 12ft and over size the tail surfaces

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It’s not that simple, Taylor, a major change like that will cascade through the design and require other changes. Better to build all the components you can per the plans in your small space and then find a larger space for final assembly.

TFF

The side of the fuselage contributes to the stability. Larger vertical is needed if open structure. As for shorter, just depends. You can shorten and enlarge the tail, but there becomes a point that the calculations start being too optimistic and really don’t work or with really tight margins.

Taylor.S

i have been looking for sky pup plans for a while now but i cant find any for sale

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
There was one advertised on one of the California Craigslist sites a month or two ago. I believe I posted it on the "As Seen on Craigslist" threads.

Hephaestus

Facebook group sounds like a good place to start.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
By the way, if you do build a Sky Pup, IMHO take a minute and understand that it is a very well engineered aircraft that was designed by a highly qualified engineer. If you do not have the capability of verifying and calculating any changes, ideas, modifications, etc. then don't do it if you're a new airplane buider or airplane owner. Until you have developed the skills, or experience, or access to trained engineers... then I believe you should assume that any change is going to make it worse, less safe, or less functional than it was before. There's nothing wrong with tinkering and exploring and fine tuning, but not on the very first aircraft unless you have the formal engineering education.

Taylor.S

really i just want to build a sky pup but, i have space constraints.

trimtab

Ive helped build one. I flew it. I knew the designer.

The fabric was important to maintain stiffness and strength. The foam was a means to increase the moment of inertia to let the fabric provide most of the strength. Same as most fabric planes. Ever measured deflections on a rag wing Piper before and after covering? The covering system was a surprising addition to the stiffness when I recovered my Pacer as a teen.

Taylor.S

I live in South Dakota and sometimes the winds are incredible winds but i will think about that.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Any Part 103 ultralight is going to be limited in terms of winds and turbulence, that is just par for the course with the low speeds and low wing loading. I have these Stimson bow-roof shed plans and they are well-proven even in hurricane winds if built to plans and well-anchored.

You might also consider buying a used trailer and building an extended box on it to store the plane. You're not hauling a lot of weight, so a cheap utility trailer with light box on top would do. If you get a local shop to weld on a tongue extension you can set it up to carry the plane backwards with the plane wheels just aft of the trailer wheels and the wings hung on racks inside.

Michael Silvius

really i just want to build a sky pup but, i have space constraints.
Another alternative, especially if you live in a rental property, might be gutting out an old RV trailer and setting up shop in that. And when you are done it becomes your "hangar" and plane hauler.
Craigslist usually has a few derelicts for short money.

Attachments