• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sheet metal competition aerobat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martenare

I posted about a month ago asking for help with finding a suitable wooden aerobatic homebuilt project. The help and suggestions I got from this community were amazing but I have through the continued research started to lean away from wood and my preferred material to work with would now be sheet metal.

I have three goals: I would like to get into aerobatic flying and compete and I would like to build my own aircraft.

I have a very limited building space in my garage (18'4" x 9'2") but I would like to be able to build all the major parts there.
It would be great if it is able to compete up to the intermediate level but operating costs will be limiting.
I am 6'2" and I will have to wear a parachute for the aerobatics so the cockpit needs to be reasonably roomy.

I will prefer to scratch build and stay away from welded tube fuselages since I have never done any welding and the Swedish CAA would require me to pass a test.

I have just ordered the plans for the Corby CM-2 Kestrel (new aluminium version of the Corby Starlet). It looks great, fits my garage, cheap to build and operate but I am not sure it will be able to compete very well.

It is really quite hard to find an aircraft that fits my requirements so I am looking forward to the help from you guys!

Thanks for your help!

Back