Quantcast

Seth's Baker Bobcat Restoration

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

sethhope

In similar fashion to Narfi, I'd like to use this as a general information and build log. Feel free to post suggestions, questions, information, or conversation.

Given the general lack of tangible information on the Bobcat available on the internet, I'd also like to use this thread as an online repository for all the bobcat information I can find.

So, to start off, I bought this bobcat with plans but no construction manual. The construction was mainly completed in the early 90s and mothballed. Since then, it has sustained some significant damage, and has seen some high humidity and in some places, water drips.

20200920_150755.jpg20200920_172110.jpg20200923_171615.jpg20200923_171618.jpg20200923_171626.jpg20200923_171636.jpg20200923_171700.jpg

pwood66889

Good opportunity, Seth, to audit just what I do have: Letter from Bob; dated 3-22-1988. Virginia builder's list in that letter.
Photo and advertisement for SuperCat. Advertisement for original BobCat; this may show how it was supposed to go together!
Could .pdf and?

sethhope

Good opportunity, Seth, to audit just what I do have: Letter from Bob; dated 3-22-1988. Virginia builder's list in that letter.
Photo and advertisement for SuperCat. Advertisement for original BobCat; this may show how it was supposed to go together!
Could .pdf and?
If you would PDF or photograph these and attach them here or email them to me, id be more than greatful. Im sure other bobcat builders would be as well.

sethhope

Sounds like you hit the jack pot, Seth! My copies aren't all that hot, so I'll play backup.
Good to know there ARE backups! I'll be happy for any information I can drum up and document on this little aircraft. Such a shame most of it never made it to the internet age.

Efliernz

What a find!!! Hi guys!

I'm in New Zealand and have just purchased some unused plans and the construction manual for the Bobcat - arrived in the mail from Miami this morning.
I am viewing an old unfinished Supercat in a couple of weeks down-country with the idea of purchasing and restoring/finishing. Our weight/stall/cruise limits are similar to the Canadian Microlight rules so the SuperCat works well for us down here. I have no idea of the state of it yet, or what mod's the builder has made :(
All I've managed to find some of pics from the net but I've no info about the "Supercat" modifications or any newletters. I'd love to see any digital scans of these and help you with what info I've found.
I've just spoken to the seller - it's been lengthened a bit between the wing and tail with an extra bulkhead - another in NZ is also flying like this. It improved the pitching sensitivity and enables a heavier engine without making it too pitchy. Inspection on the 23rd....

Pete K in NZ

Last edited:

Efliernz

In case anyone is interested... I had a chance to inspect a SuperCat here in New Zealand that I was hopeful would be what I wanted. 20 years ago when built the original builder (quite a large gentleman) enlarged the cockpit a bit, added another bulkhead between the wing and tail and "strengthened the wings and fuse to handle a VW1600". Tail skid, no brakes. Half the instruments.
Ceconite was painted in house latex paint and appears in great condition. I has supposedly 'not flown' but is reported to have hopped way back 20 years ago but the original builder has avoided any questioning!

I took a set of scales as the current owner had no idea of the weight but he said he thought the balance was good with the VW. It came in (with engine), no cowl @ 450lbs without the wings! So I suspect it's over 500lbs. Yes it's a large high-lift wing but I think there are better-risk options for me... although the project is extremely cheap I don't think it's right for me.

So now I have a set of plans... no plane... and I'm thinking about what to do next!

Pete

Attachments