• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Semi tension webs plywood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragflyer

I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks can help me with this. I am analyzing the sides and top/bottom of a plywood box type fuselage. During combined loading (full rudder and elevator) the sides buckle due to the combined compression due to the lateral bending of the fuselage by the rudder and shear due the elevator loads.

I am analysing this is as a semi-tension web and am trying to determine the secondary loads on the stiffeners and longerons. Both Perry and Bruhn give a curve that gives the factor k that determines how much of the load is carried as a tension web and how much (1-k) of the shear is carried as in a shear resistant web. The equation is semi-empirical and seems to have been arrived at by a number of tests on various AL alloys by naca. my question is that if this curve applies to plywood ? If not how does one go about such an analysis?

I have looked at the obvious sources including anc-18, old versions of Bruhn, warner, k. Wood and drawn a blank. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Back