searching for a pneumatic benchtop riveter!

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by erkki67, Jun 24, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 24, 2019 #1

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Does someone have a good idea for along reach benchtop riveter for solid rivets up to 3/16 in diameter?

2. Jun 24, 2019 #2

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Off the shelf . Expensive. Yardstore.com

3. Jun 25, 2019 #3

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

For AD6 rivets? Yow. The forces for rivets that big get huge. Not many open-yoke squeezers can do them.

Back before even the slow-build RV kits came with prefabricated wing spars, the usual thing was to re-purpose a cheap 10-ton hydraulic press like this one as a rivet squeezer. There used to be web pages about that, but I haven't seen one in a long time.

proppastie likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2019 #4

bifft

bifft

bifft

The cheap way is to use the C-frame tool you already have and a big hammer. I have done a few AD6 rivits that way. Not sure how well it would hold up to a whole spar's worth.

5. Jun 25, 2019 #5

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

For some AN5 and AN6 rivets on our spar, We used an HF arbor press, filed and polished the bottom face of the ram to a nice sheen, and slapped the roof of that bad boy with a deadblow. Sets an AN5 in about 3 solid hits. After about 100 rivets, the locking ring that kept the main axel attached to the handle split, and I had to go in and lathe up a new one from some nice thick steel. (was a fun little project)

Managed to rivet up one wing this way. Should be able to do 2 more. But I also would like to figure out some kind of setup to weld together for a 10-ton hydraulic ram to sit on a benchtop.

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2019 #6

GeeZee

GeeZee

GeeZee

Paul Dye (kitplanes editor) borrowed another Xenos motorglider builders custom pneumatic benchtop riveter to rivet the spars on his xenos. It looked really nice and apparently worked great. A little googling should turn up some photos. Should be good for some ideas at least. Also if you wanted to spend real money Numax has plans for converting their hydraulic/pneumatic riveter to a benchtop machine. Someone recently posted the drawings to the vansairforce forum. It looked plenty stout.

7. Jun 26, 2019 #7

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Take a look at You tube. Search for:
    SPARivetSqueezer This is a hydraulic set up for -6 rivets on Cougar and Panther spars.

Also search the net for Panther rivet squeezer. All the info you need to make one. I'd be more inclined to use a hydraulic mechanism like this one, than a pneumatic one. More control.

proppastie and bifft like this.