• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Search for composite tail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Supporting Member
Once again I'm looking for professional help or advice from someone with experience in composites.

Presently I have aluminum pipe as tail boom and horizontal tail made out of aluminum tube and fabric. It was designed to be foldable for storage with support cables.

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 22.51.13.png

Future goal is to end up with composite tail boom and composite tail. I was told that job of designing tail boom would go much easier if I would get a hold of ready to go horizontal stabilizer that will work for us. So, my job is to find one used, or to fabricate one and have it ready. I am guessing that my ideal tail supposed to look very much like one on picture below. I am probably wrong, but looks like horizontal stabilizer can be removed as one piece. And very end of my new tail boom can look just like this one below. Currently total horizontal tail area that I have on my airplane is 22 ft.². Original tail size was about 24 ft.². Not sure if my new tail needs to be that large, because present tail arm is only 2.2 MAC. I am open to any ideas except one that I supposed to sell this airplane and purchase something better.

86469_1531574803.jpeg35152_1558865952 2.jpeg35152_1558865952.jpeg

Back