SD-1 Builder From New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rbrochey, Oct 19, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2010 #1

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Hello, I spent over a year looking at all the kitplanes out there and finally decided on building the SD-1 MiniSport. I have had past Private Pilot training but stopped to focus on my family. But now that I'm older (and probably a better pilot) it's time to breath life into an old obsession, namely building my own plane for fun and adventure... I plan on hitting the books and skies to get an LSA license since I only want to fly for fun... I no longer need to be anywhere all that fast! I live in western New Mexico and would like to find other builders in the area. By day I am a business consultant and work by contract for local businesses and on the Navajo Nation. My wife, myself and two small children live on five acres in the Zuni Mountains near the Continental Divide. Elevation here is 7800 feet. So... now that I made my decision on what to build I thought it about time to join the homebuilt community. This is a very informative site! Thanks, Robert

2. Oct 19, 2010 #2

snaildrake

snaildrake

snaildrake

Howdy Robert-
    Welcome - great to see someone from my state sign on. The Zuni Mtns are a place of astonishing beauty -- it's cool you've made a life there. What would your home airfield be?

If you'd like to join an EAA local group, there is Chapter 179 here in Albuquerque. I have only met a few local guys building from kits or plans. I'd be glad to share whatever contacts I have. The Santa Fe/Los Alamos chapter seems to have more members flying experimentals than we do - curiously, there is so little hangar space at their home airports, a lot of them house their projects 50+ miles away in Moriarty (0E0).
    They count a Quickie, a KR-2s, and maybe a Cozy among their ranks, so they have composite building experience.

For Sport Pilot training, I suggest you look into 2-3 week intensive programs. Albuquerque has fewer than 5 Sport Pilot instructors and they're $135/hr and up; from discussion on this forum it's clear this is common across the USA. I explored training options earlier this year, and was amazed that though the Sport Pilot license program is over five years old, its impact on light aircraft pilot training is very low. If you have a particular type of aircraft you want to train in, then you're looking at traveling to wherever you can find it.

Look forward to hearing more about your project as time goes on. Cheers, Dan

3. Oct 19, 2010 #3

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Greetings back. I lived in Roswell up until I graduated from A&P school when my wife said "You've got to get a job." Hope you build the SD-1 and fly it into the future. I bought the Ercoupe I had been trying to get people to come to Roswell to look at for over a year and flew it back here.
    Percy in SE Bama

4. Oct 19, 2010 #4

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Thanks! I will probably use Grants, maybe Gallup. Long term I am looking at buying more land that is former lakebed at Bluewater Lake. It's fairly flat and would make a nice grass strip, that I could make available to anyone who would want to fly in and camp at the lake... but that's a couple of years away! Still, it's a project worth pursuing! Thanks for the information on the local EAA chapter. I thought I would probably have to train at Double Eagle, or Moriarty. Thanks too for your comment on the Zuni Mountains... it is a wonderful place to live and I never have a problem finding a Christmas tree! I'll be keeping my progress posted and if you're in the area, let me know. Take care

Robert

5. Oct 19, 2010 #5

snaildrake

snaildrake

snaildrake

As soon as you have a few pieces of that plane built, I'll be right over :grin:. Cheers, Dan

6. Jan 29, 2011 #6

quad9er

quad9er

quad9er

Hey I'm very close to purchasing a Minisport Kit as well. Keep me in the Loop. I'd love to know the progress... thanks!

7. Jan 30, 2011 #7

Titanium Cranium

Titanium Cranium

Titanium Cranium

The SD-1 looks like a fun little plane to fly. I was considering one as well. I'm eager to see your progress on it and see how you like it once you've got it off the ground.

8. Nov 15, 2011 #8

Biggs

Biggs

Biggs

Hello im from the East Coast i am a older man myself and have been interested in flying ever since i was young, but grew out of the passion to fly, until six years ago when i purchased my house which is about 5 miles away from an airstrip that quiet a few gliders fly. so i started looking into homebuilt aircraft, the Bede BD5j was my first choice. I remember reading a Popular Mechanics mag in high school i think i was a freshmen, anyway i saw the kit which happens to be the bd5, I cant seem to find one of those.. well i did see one half built by a professional for $4500.00 but when i saw it there was only half an hours left. I have been checking on the SD-1 minisport is the only other plane that seems to fit my personality, but until now have never seen anyone in the US with a kit, i cant even find a true price for them, ive seen one site that had European prices im thinking this is $10,000 for the kit minus motor?? plus how much is shipping?? if you can help me out with finding pricing it would be a great help. How is the project going anyway,

9. Nov 15, 2011 #9

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

Jan Carlsson

Biggs, just send a e-mail to designer Igor Spacek at SPACEK s.r.o.

Say I sent you!

Jan

10. Nov 17, 2011 #10

Biggs

Biggs

Biggs

Ok Thanks,
    i did that hows that build going? where you living in the U.S. when you purchased the Aircraft? do you have any pics of your build?

11. Mar 23, 2013 #11

batesjoe

batesjoe

batesjoe

I don't see any recent posts on this thread, but I send greetings. I am in Alamogordo, NM and am seriously looking at the SD-1 as well. I hope to hear from other SD-1 supporters/builders. For the moment, I don't have the funds, but I am working on that just as much as I am doing my homework. Keep us posted on your progress.

Joe

12. Jun 1, 2013 #12

fly_often

fly_often

fly_often

Just received my plans, starting to study and prepare for the build. Must get the spruce I have out of storage. If any one else is building please chime in.

Bill

13. Aug 31, 2019 #13

TiPi

TiPi

TiPi

Hi Robert, I have just joined this group. I'm building a SD-1 Minisport as well (TD XL), started in 2012 from a 51% kit and still not finished. How are you going???

14. Aug 31, 2019 #14

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It seems rbrochey has been scarce around here lately, he last logged in about a year ago. The SD-1 gets mentioned a lot, I'm not sure who else is building one. I met the US distributor about a year ago, he's got a nice plane, he brought it to our EAA chapter meeting and it was very popular (a lot of fun in a very compact package).

15. Aug 31, 2019 #15

Basil

Basil

Basil

Active Member HBA Supporter

None of you mentioned which motor you are using. I built an SD1 TG with a Hirth F23 50hp 2 stroke but have also flown the UK demonstrator with the SE33 4 stroke.
    My comments on the difference are as follows.

If you really need short field performance then the F23 is the one to go for. However it is buzzy at large throttle opening and rough at low throttle openings. It also used twice as much fuel as the SE33 giving half the range.
    The SE33 is more relaxing to fly with having a pleasant exhaust note at all throttle openings and gives over 6 hours cruise on a full tank. However you get an adequate 700fpm climb rate instead of an excellent 1000fpm.

Vigilant1 likes this.
  16. Aug 31, 2019 #16

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, Basil. Regarding vibration in flight:. How did the SE33 seem in comparison to other aircraft/engines you could cite? The videos of the SE33 at idle show quite a bit of motion (much of which is apparently damped out with some fairly soft mounts). At cruise, in-flight videos don't show a lot of buzzing, but it is a bit hard to tell. Your impressions?
    Mark

17. Aug 31, 2019 #17

Basil

Basil

Basil

Active Member HBA Supporter

From the cockpit the SE33 seems much smoother than the F23 and what noise and vibration there is is of a different quality to the F23, Think Harley Davidson versus electric toothbrush. How.ever this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are people out there who like the F23

blane.c and Vigilant1 like this.