RV-8A

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bifft

After 21 years, three moves, getting married, etc. my RV-8A was signed off today. First flight is still a ways off, transition training is scheduled for next month.

IMG_3110.jpg
A long road, but a fun one.

Riggerrob

Congratulations! That is a milestone.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Millstone?
Looks more like an RV-ate too much with a pretty paint job.
Hope it flies as well as it looks.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I thought about it, but this is really an American plane so decided against.
I would certainly avoid the "rising sun" symbol if adopting a Japanese military scheme for a homebuilt, just as I would never use a swastika even if I painted a plane in German colors. Still, adopting a Japanese WWII color scheme and symbols but leaving off the nationality markings seems odd to me, looks a bit naked. Of course, it's your plane, just a thought.

boxtop.jpg

FritzW

Log Member
I thought about it, but this is really an American plane so decided against.
Congratulations on your long road to victory!

I'm with you, if I ever build my single seat Fi-156 it'll have a Condor Legion tail flash instead of a swastika.

autoreply

Congrats on your build!

I would certainly avoid the "rising sun" symbol if adopting a Japanese military scheme for a homebuilt, just as I would never use a swastika even if I painted a plane in German colors. Still, adopting a Japanese WWII color scheme and symbols but leaving off the nationality markings seems odd to me, looks a bit naked. Of course, it's your plane, just a thought.

View attachment 63193
Fun story; German planes have a mandatory German flag on the tail. Needless to say, during international championships, there's always a joker that brings some stickers with Swastika's to help the German's out.

During an international woman's championship the stickers with Swastika's were replaced with stickers with a gentleman's sausage on them.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
All joking aside, I am a great admirer of Japanese aviation, Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War by Rene J. Francillon is a favorite. I do not have a problem with paying homage to a great Japanese fighter pilot by replicating his aircraft's markings as long as that particular pilot was not himself guilty of war crimes and made peace after the war. I feel the same way about German pilots -- if an ardent Nazi, then no thanks, but if a normal guy fighting for his country, no problem. And given the plethora of Van's types in American WWII markings, I would take perverse pride in bouncing them as a Hayate, but that's just me.

Riggerrob

Agreed!
If I ever get around to building my BV 72.5 .... er half-scale replica of assymetric Blohm und Voss 141, I will paint 4 question marks on the vertical fin.

Paulie

A military replica yes, but I see no reason to paint any airplane as if it were a military aircraft. But it's yours, do as you will.

bifft

Went with big N-number instead. Since the Hinomaru both pre and post dates the 30's-40's atrocity period (still in use today) I figure its more like the German cross than the swastika. Don't really have a problem with using it, but decided against for this one.

bifft

So, finally got it flown today. Now really "complete". Still need to work out the carb settings, had a bit more excitement than planned when I couldn't get full throttle after doing a stall. Could get about 75%, and RVs have plenty of excess power so that was enough to get me back to the airport and land normally. Transition training really paid off.

IMG_4968.jpg

Last edited: