RV 3 Previously Flying, Complete Aircraft

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Skypilot99, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

Skypilot99

Skypilot99

Skypilot99

for sale RV 3, has flown before and has airworthiness certificate. Aircraft is apart for a few upgrades, new wings tanks and new instruments added to panel and to also be painted. Engine is Lycoming 0-290 D2 with 558 SMOH and 38 STOH. Prop is a nice like new wood performance prop. Aircraft still needs a little work and paint and put back together to get it flying again. Price is 16,500. E-mail me if interested or call me at 573 559 9868. Bill. DSCN0588.JPG DSCN0201.JPG DSCN0591.JPG

Pops and Turd Ferguson like this.
  2. Sep 9, 2019 #2

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

MAW airport?

3. Sep 10, 2019 #3

Skypilot99

Skypilot99

Skypilot99

The maximum weight on the RV 3 is right at 1,100 lbs/ and the aircraft is located at Kennett Memorial Airport ( TKX ) .

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  4. Sep 10, 2019 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

With all 100% siincere respect, I think most of us have seen that aircraft advertised at that price many many times on Craigslist (and wherever else) over the last year or three. The market may be trying to tell you something about the actual cash value. This is nothing against the aircraft itself, I owned an RV-3 very similar to that one (RV-3A s/n 001 with the O-290-D2 engine no less) and would love to have one again if I were able to spend the money. It was many years ago, but I turned the key and flew it home for $10K.

5. Sep 10, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think people would pay more if it was ready to fly, even without a paint job. At this stage of the game no one is buying without ADSB installed. Add that and an Airgismo Mount and little Garmin GPS, it’s a $20,000 airplane. paint it all white and it’s worth $25,000. Money and time. You either don’t have it and can’t upgrade. Or you do, so you pass on easy projects.

6. Sep 10, 2019 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

I am in the no money group. Its only 100 miles from me and too good a deal.

7. Sep 10, 2019 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

I wonder if the "B" model mods has been done to the wings?
    Always wanted a RV-3 hotrod.

8. Sep 10, 2019 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I believe some of those mods we're done. Others cannot be done without new wings. But the RV-3 with the basic wing mods is very capable and safe

9. Sep 11, 2019 #9

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Why has this been for sale for so long? Makes me wonder if previous interested buyers found issues and passed on it. At this price its in the Thatcher CX4 price range but much more of an airplane for the price.

10. Sep 11, 2019 #10

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

I always liked the earlier, smaller RVs. Obviously, one cannot be sure about build quality but some questions come to mind. Remember these aren't criticisms of Skypilot - just observations as a potential buyer.

65TT? Barely the needed time flown off for airworthiness then either stored or immediately disassembled for upgrades - and over a 28yr period? Most wouldn't want an engine and instruments that have been sitting for 28yrs no matter how low the time. Been there. Surely one didn't ground a new airplane just because of the Vans AD to change to the utility category unless doing the spar mods. Maybe.
    Not criticizing the OP but looks like it was parted out for sale(engine, prop, instruments) but now back together for sale? Appears some were sold and replaced with new?
    This one has flown but currently appears to be at the stage many turn it over for finishing to others - avionics, wiring, engine, plumbing, paint.

Price has increased from $15,000. Sales strategy? New instruments?

51% rule makes an IA necessary.

These were designed as simple, lightweight, fun planes. Additions are often seen as not only complications but more $$$ and as a reduction in intended performance.

Appears the OP was not the original builder/owner. Everyone builds heavy. Lots of gauges. Maybe not all bad but might indicate "extra" or "improved on the design" elsewhere. Says wing mods were done during the build(in 1991? or this build) and now an "upgrade" to wing tanks, but not new B wings, is another hint to the slippery slope of good intentions = heavy.

Apparently difficult to sell as are single seat motorcycles or cars... or a pickup with a 4' bed.
    I think just like many other things, if someone is gonna shell out for an RV, kit or built, they will go with the newer, larger, and two seat version unless its just a toy bought for a song.

There are so many RVs now there is little to set one apart(read: bellybuttons). To be different or special, everyone adds more bells and whistles and 100 lb paint jobs. The only unique RV now is one that is simple, pared down, and as light as possible. This doesn't appear to be one.

At the asking price I would NOT want to finish it with the needed repairs and parts and then try to unload it without loosing my shirt? Build time saved? You bet. Cheaper than buying all the parts? You bet. Understandably, I wouldn't want to lose on what I had into it but just not a deal from a resale perspective and that's what a buyer has to consider otherwise it stays a hot potato. Another consideration is that if one has modified something it had better be mods the buyer would have wanted to do himself. Otherwise it will cost even more to change the mods to what you wanted. Maybe just not found the right guy yet.

I see this sounds really critical but IMO it's how anyone should approach a partially finished project. Just trying to be objective. Would be interested to hear if Skypilot knows the answers to some of these concerns. Might help in the sale.

Jerry Lytle likes this.
  11. Sep 11, 2019 #11

BJC

BJC

BJC

Are you saying that an A&P with IA is needed for the annual condition inspection? Any E-AB condition inspection may be done by an A&P. IA is not required.

BJC

dmar836 and gtae07 like this.
  12. Sep 12, 2019 #12

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

Yeah. Just meant you can’t do and sign off your own inspections.
    Dave

13. Sep 12, 2019 #13

TFF

TFF

TFF

IA is never needed for a condition inspection. If an IA uses IA on the sign off he is wrong. Only an A&P needed. More used homebuilts out there than builders with repair certificates. It’s an airplane.

dmar836 likes this.
  14. Sep 12, 2019 #14

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

Clarification made. Not to take this off topic too far and dwell. My point was a repair certificate is a draw to many who want to build an airplane.

15. Sep 12, 2019 #15

BJC

BJC

BJC

FWIW, I’ve never paid more than $100 for an A&P to do a condition inspection. Check your local EAA chapter membership.

BJC

16. Sep 12, 2019 #16

dmar836

dmar836

dmar836

Okay I’ll stay off topic.
    Wow. That’s a bargain. My guy spends a lot of time with me. $100 would be minimum wage at best. Removing seats, checking rails. Compression check and testing mufflers on occasion alone take hours. Cleaning the airplane is on the list but few do it. My guy does or let’s me do it with him. You find an awful lot that way.
    Can we start a new thread please?
    Dave