Roomy high wing options?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mitchell

Is there any truly roomy high wing experimental options that cruise around 150mph?

Ideally I’d like something 48”+ wide, cantilevered high wing for easy egress, good useful load to actually fill all the seats. Ideally a 4 seater. Cruise at 150mph to get places yet docile to fly slow.

The closest I can think of would be to scratch build a bearhawk and modify the fuselage to add more width. That still don’t make it a cantilevered wing. And most likely it won’t cruise that fast after widening it.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
As I'm sure you already know, a 48" cabin width is a lot.

The Compair 4/ Compair Monster is close to meeting your requirements. 42.5" or 46" cabin width.
Comp Air 4 (Comp Moster)

Claimed 39 mph stall, claimed 140-160 mph cruise, high wing, strut (but, it is aft of the doors, no factor for getting in or out), 1200 lb total useful load

I don't know anything about the aircraft, flying qualities, the company, etc other than the most superficial info. It is a big plane. There don't seem to be many of them out there.

Last edited:

dog

Is there any truly roomy high wing experimental options that cruise around 150mph?

Ideally I’d like something 48”+ wide, cantilevered high wing for easy egress, good useful load to actually fill all the seats. Ideally a 4 seater. Cruise at 150mph to get places yet docile to fly slow.

The closest I can think of would be to scratch build a bearhawk and modify the fuselage to add more width. That still don’t make it a cantilevered wing. And most likely it won’t cruise that fast after widening it.
A friend has an airplane called a Bintner 4 ,
designed and built by a Dehavilind engineer,
Its basicly a 4 seat cub,hopped up O 320,
roller cam,etc,huge tundra tires.
Struts not a problem as you can walk under them.
Climbs and slips like a dream.
There are supposed to be a dozen or so of them.
As to plans,I dont know.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
A friend has an airplane called a Bintner 4 ,
designed and built by a Dehavilind engineer,
Its basicly a 4 seat cub,hopped up O 320,
roller cam,etc,huge tundra tires.
Struts not a problem as you can walk under them.
Climbs and slips like a dream.
There are supposed to be a dozen or so of them.
As to plans,I dont know.
Maybe something like this "Bittner 4”?
Bittner Bittner-Four

It cruises at 95mph with the O-290, would be slightly faster with an O-320. No info on cabin width. High wing with strut.

The page says "not intended for amateur construction," so plans might be nonexistent.

BJC

HBA Supporter

A Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2 meets much of your criteria, especially the ones powered by the Lycoming IO-390.

Exceeds your cruise speed criteria, is 44" wide at the hips and 46" wide at the shoulders, will carry 950 to 1,000 pounds, has rear facing seats that are useful for kids but has leg room for a 6' 2" person.

The strut attaches to the fuselage between the front and rear doors, and is an asset for entry rather than an impediment.

Stalls at 42 to 45 knots with flaps. With flaps retracted, maintains aileron control through the stall.

BJC

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The bushmaster series (modified pacer) both widens and stretches the Piper fuselage quite a bit. Makes a pretty big airplane in the end.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Christavia Mk 4 is, I think, 42" wide and you could use bulged transparent doors to add a few more inches. Of course, the best way to get room in a high wing plane is to choose tandem seating. Christavia Mk 1 is 30" wide and you won't find any 60" two-seaters.

TFF

Bearhawk with the new wing is pretty fast for what it is. Close to 150mph. Unless you need no wing struts. I have a friend who’s wife is in a wheelchair, and she can get in a Cardinal by herself.
Start grading the value of each item you want. What you want is not a standard homebuilt configuration. 99.9% want a homebuilt to be a fighter and the other 10% want a STOL. There is always the 5% who want an inflatable airplane.
With there being a Cardinal already out there, not many find any advantage reinventing the wheel.
Everyone wants a wider plane, it’s pretty much something the builder will have to tackle on his own, because most buy numbers and wide kills performance.
Of course if you had the budget, you could get a Sherpa, even if it does have wing struts.

Mitchell

The Cardinal really does everything I want yet I just don’t want a certificate plane. Even if building cost more I’d rather build it myself and actually have a new plane.

If I knew how to design my own I would use everything possible from the RV10; wings, tail, fwf, landing gear, etc. But high wing and 54” wide. I’d happily take the top speed hit for an easy to get in and out comfortable new plane.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
A lot depends on the definition and importance of "docile low speed handling." The BD-4 stalls with full flaps at about 62 MPH, and if the intent is to take it off pavement--well, it should be smooth and don't go with the small tires. Wing Loading: 21.8 PSF

A Sportsman 2+2 stalls at about 48 MPH, wing loading of 17.9 PSF

Bearhawk 4-place (if 42" wide is enough): Stall with full flaps: 40 MPH, wing loading of 13.9 PSF

dog

Maybe something like this "Bittner 4”?
Bittner Bittner-Four

It cruises at 95mph with the O-290, would be slightly faster with an O-320. No info on cabin width. High wing with strut.

The page says "not intended for amateur construction," so plans might be nonexistent.
It sits a "little" higher now.
Having flown in it,there is lots of shoulder
room for not skinny guys.
And it fits the OP's maundering about what a wider Bearhawk might work like.
A cantilever high wing four place with doors
that swing up would be an awsome day tripper
or overnight camper plane.Cruise at 150 says
big six and the fuel it wants.
In Canada you could rebuild a C177 as an owner maintained aircraft and modify it
to suit.

PredragVasic

Actually, the design that would probably check most if not all of your boxes and happens to resemble the Cardinal in some ways is the Bede BD-4C. Might be worth a look....
I agree. That one checks more of the requirement boxes than any other model. The kit is still being made, fully supported, several active builders and plenty of them flying. High wing, no struts, fairly wide cabin, 150kts reported speed (if you make an effort to clean up the shape with wheel pants and fairings). Tri-gear or tailwheel, depending on whether you mostly fly from soft or hard surfaces.

It is easy to build and fairly cheap.

PredragVasic

A Stallion has 49” cabin width. Specifications | Aircraft Designs
Might be a little more airplane than you’re looking for, though—it’s more like a 210 than a Cardinal.
That was a really nice plane, but I don’t think they are making the kit anymore. And even when they were making it, it was quite expensive (if I recall correctly, well over $100k, just the kit).

b7gwap

The Stallion looks like the love child of a 210, a 177, and a straight tail 172. What a nice looking airplane.