• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Request for ideas: working with stacked sheet metal blanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holger

I'm building aluminum wings for my BD-4, and that calls for a bunch (20+, for several sets of wings) of access panels:

IMG_20170717_211313.jpg

To save time, I'm stacking several 0.032" alcald blanks together and cut them out with the jig saw and finally on the table router. Then comes drilling the rivet and screw holes. The stack of sheet metal blanks is held together with screws and a template on each side, one wooden, another (water jet cut) steel:

IMG_20170716_163412.jpg

Now to the problem: When cutting to shape and drilling, metal shavings work their way in between the blanks. They scratch up the alclad, and force the blanks apart, making for less precise cutting and drilling.

To counter that, I've been gluing the blanks together with a cheap glue stick. That works, but it's a bit of a mess, and the glue takes a long time to dry.

Has any of you found a better glue, or solution to work with stacked sheet metal parts?

Thanks!

Holger

Back