replica's other than p-51 p-40

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PiperCruisin

It will be great! A subsonex twin engine & two place jet!! Abit like the micro jet 200B

Reminds me of the TT-1 Temco Pinto in performance. Dad flew one as a naval aviation student. When he started 3 of the 14 had already been totaled. Almost crashed his when it lost electrical power during a night solo.
View attachment 114676

ScaleBirdsScott

Again folks, let's steer this discussion back towards replicas that have already flown.
To be fair the discussion in this thread was never about ones that have gotten into the air. It's been curiosity and hypotheticals from the first page 10 years ago. If we want a master list of replicas that meet a specific criteria, that's actually a good plan but I'd say should rightly be a distinct thread.

WonderousMountain

Another Twin Eng. replica bid.
crusaderphoto-2.jpg
Replying to below: Yes it is a Crusader & there was a second prototype of six seats, but no production due to financial feuds. It seems to me slow flying qualities would be pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

Rowdy Yates

If you can PM me a copy, would love to see 'em! 👍🙂

The GeeBee 7 started as a side view to determine pilot CG vs required a/c CG and wing CP to balance fore and aft with a relatively heavy motor. One could make some slight compromise visually with the actual cockpit location provided the nose was pushed forward to compensate, thereby appearing correct overall is side elevation.

I then drew the 1:8 plan view to see how the structure would work out, bearing in mind I was considering an all-wood replica, although the steel tube fuselage would have made more sense. It looked quite dramatic and from memory a 39" engine cowling was considered based on actual availability although 41" was more to scale. Something like a Verner 7U or a Rotec 3600 would be ideal, although a Rotec R2800 became available afterwards. I would prefer to leave a beautiful looking radial like the R2800 fully exposed, however, hence my reverting to one of my Flitzer biplane evolutions recently.

The GeeBee 7 plan view is a pencil drawing at the moment, but I will photograph it and enhance it to transmit it to the site shortly.

cvairwerks

Not quite a warbird, but curious: Has anyone built a slightly scaled down Gee Bee? 🤔 I remember hearing a guy was designing a 'lightweight' Gee Bee-ish bird for Rotax or VW power, but never heard much about it?
(Helped an elderly man out here with his Gee Bee Z replica. Put in a lot of work, but never got finished...)
Ron W. and I know of an R2 that’s going together right now and might do a first engine start within a few months. It’s already pretty small, so scaling it down much if any might be a problem.

PTAirco

Surprised nobody mentioned this one:

ME 109

I'm not a fan of buzzing around in a scaled down fighter making machine gun noises ( I certainly was when I was 10!) but this is nice aeroplane in its own right.