• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rans S4 Coyote Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifted1

IMG_1898.jpgIMG_1901.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpgIMG_1905.jpg

Hello homebuilders. Here's a project i just picked up in need of much improvement and modification. This is possibly the oldest Rans in known existence besides the original #1 coyote retained by Rans and still flown regularly I'm told. This is #6 as per Rans via the data plate# i provided them. It has the old "A" style wing and I'm planning to improve/rebuild the wing for a more conventional aircraft like covering system. (probably stits as there's extra i can acquire inexpensively or free) the original wing covering is dacron with pockets for the ribs to slide into, kinda like a hang glider. Rans still has the patterns to sew skins but they want 3900 for the complete set. seems like a lot for such a small plane. I'm thinking of using blue dow foam for ribs and modifying the ailerons to more modern and conventional methods. the original designs manipulates the hinged trailing edge of the outer wings to act as ailerons. quite weird. not sure how they perform. all subsequent coyote versions have been changed so i figure hinged and separated like traditional must be an improvement???

I am in need of information and suggestions as i'm no engineer. to make the wing more rigid and also accept a fabric system over the ribs instead of pockets to hold the ribs, i'm considering using the original aluminum tube rib as a pattern for foam ribs. possibly even notching the foam to accept the tube rib flush over the top.

Is using the small aluminum tubing rib within the foam overkill? seems a 2"? thick rib may be plenty and stronger than the original tube rib?

If i retain the rib within the rib I know i'll be adding weight but i also plan to increase hp from the 277(27hp) to the 503. i can't imagine a few dow ribs weigh much at all though.

subsequently i am looking for a 503 or 4 stroke equivalent. If you happen to know if the Ski Doo 503 right out of a snowmobile is the same as the 503 used for aircraft, please let me know. I have an opportunity to pick up the snowmobile engine right now for very cheap but i don't want to make a mistake assuming it will work.

I will most likely be replacing the fiberglass tank with a polyethylene round tank mounted in the same location.

I plan to duplicate the airfoil molding of the old tank around the new tank with blue dow foam to provide the covering support/shape.

I am also planning to experiment with non conventional covering material including Oracal for fuselage and maybe stabilizers but not wing or control surfaces immediately. well maybe the wing if i find a sufficient lightweight woven fabric material to skin under it.

If you have had ANY experience with the Rans S4, please chime in as i am seeking any info on improvements, AD's or anything learned that can improve the aircraft or save my neck.

thanks everyone!

Back