• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rag & Tube Flyin - Heck Airfield, Gold Coast, Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
The Heck Airfield is a great little airfield at the top of the Gold Coast about 40 min drive from Brisbane. I have visited the airfield a number of times since moving to Brisbane, and have always found the locals very friendly and approachable. Imagine my surprise when I arrived on Sat morning for a mosey around to find about two dozen aircraft neatly parked on the grass. I'd stumbled on their annual "Rag & Tube" Flyin.

It was great to see the planes, but I couldn't help noticing the general lack of novelty. There were Cessnas, RV's, a bunch of Jabiroos, a Kitfox or two - all rather bland fare, to be honest. I did see a little original plan-s build KR2 (gosh, they're tiny), a neat little thing on floats, and what could only be described as a cross between a stick insect and a kite. (See photos). Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the little float plane.

I met an chatted to the designer of the Bolly Prop's Constant Speed Unit - and got a chance to inspect the all-carbon version of the CS unit. Quite impressive.

And, of course, while there were a number of builders in attendance, there were no airplane designers. But that is to be expected, I guess. But I had a good time checking over a home-built Sonerai and a half completed Sonex. It was good to talk aspect ratios, cooling drag, engines, airfoils. My wife glases over if I start that sort of thing at home... :)

It turns out that there is NO hangarage. Not for love or money. Which is a bummer. But one could always get space to tie down an aircraft out on the field. Which got me thinking...

If I built a dedicated cigar-box trailer for the little Razorback, I could both trailor it to/from the airfield, and (probably more realistically) park the trailer on the field and house the plane in it on a permanent basis. Pretty easy to build, and if designed right, it could act as a small workshop also. Maybe a side which opens up like a tent flap so I could sit in the shade and watch the world go by. And a great marketing tool should I ever wish to sell kits.

Mmmmm

Finally, I have started looking for a local workshop (double lock-up garage?) in the suburbs somewhere where I can start building the Razorback. Since there is no chance of doing to at any of the airfields round here, I will have to settle for a workshop in the suburbs, or in a farmer's barn, or wherever...

Regards,
Duncan

Attachments

• Acro.jpg
    Acro.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Bolly CS unit 2.jpg
    Bolly CS unit 2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Bolly CS unit.jpg
    Bolly CS unit.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 192