Race 84 is Back!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

slociviccoupe

Too bad marcote drives no longer available. Next contender is the spg-5 gearbox as plenty of gyrocopters flying with them.
Few others out there but not a whole lot on them. Marcote was about only one with the internal helical gear.

aeromomentum

We (aeromomentum.com) make a gearbox with a 9 3/4" offset that is designed for 325hp on a 4 cylinder, 425hp on a 6 cylinder and 550hp on an 8 cylinder. This is based on a peak impulse torque of 1100 ft-lbs and with an additional 2 to 1 safety factor.

TXFlyGuy

We (aeromomentum.com) make a gearbox with a 9 3/4" offset that is designed for 325hp on a 4 cylinder, 425hp on a 6 cylinder and 550hp on an 8 cylinder. This is based on a peak impulse torque of 1100 ft-lbs and with an additional 2 to 1 safety factor.
Will it fit an LS3 V8? Constant speed hydraulic prop? Weight?

slociviccoupe

Nice you are advertising but do you have weight, and any real flight testing and recorded hours on them. Has one actually been on a subaru and torsional vibration rpms recorded?
Seems everyone can build a gearbox and advertise. Its not a one size fits all.

aeromomentum

Nice you are advertising but do you have weight, and any real flight testing and recorded hours on them. Has one actually been on a subaru and torsional vibration rpms recorded?
Seems everyone can build a gearbox and advertise. Its not a one size fits all.
The gearbox alone is 26.4lbs. Our total weight with mounting on our 260hp AM20T is 35.8lbs. At this time we have not flown this gearbox and are still in ground testing. Our smaller (225hp on a 4 cylinder) gearbox has flown thousands of hours and the highest hours on a single example is 5500 without overhaul as used on a commercial airboat. At least one customer has used our smaller gearbox on a Subaru that they say is 225hp. We did not do any of the engineering or testing for that installation.

We do not make mounting for the Subaru or LS3 engines. While all of our gearboxes have a hollow prop shaft we do not have provisions for hydraulic CS props. You can use electric like MT, Airmaster, etc.

Russell

I wonder why they stopped making them?
George
I spoke with Guy Marcotte about nine months ago ... it sounded as if he is still making his gearbox but in limited numbers. Ray was Guy's machinist and passed away several years ago, I think that was when production slowed down.

slociviccoupe

I spoke with Guy Marcotte about nine months ago ... it sounded as if he is still making his gearbox but in limited numbers. Ray was Guy's machinist and passed away several years ago, I think that was when production slowed down.
What are you running. It seems proven.

Russell

I have a Marcotte. It has not been 100% trouble free … about 1 ½ years ago I replaced the output shaft and ring gear because I was starting to have spline wear.
I did not know that Marcotte had a website. He is sometimes slow to reply to emails … sometimes as much as three weeks.

slociviccoupe

Guy marcote replid to email. He is still selling gearboxes. But no mention of how long gearboxes will be produced and how long replacement parts will be available.