Race 84 is Back!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
Call me skeptical but I don't give a 200hp, 1500cc engine a long lifespan in aircraft use.
Well I lack any supporting info to comment, I hope the stock 170hp works out though for people, I think it fills a need out there.

rv6ejguy

5+ years down the road and a few thousand hours collectively on the turbo fleet will tell us if he got the recipe correct this time around. There is certainly a need but only real world experience will prove that it's viable and reliable.

rv6ejguy

Russell just finished another SARL event. "Today we ran in the BCAF Air Race. The 147 nautical mile course had four turns with the finish at the same place as the start. We beat our best speed ever buy just over 1 MPH. Our average speed was 252.95 MPH."

Not bad for 201 cubic inches.

pictsidhe

My first impression of car performance articles wasn't good. It was about the benefits of intercooling turbo engines. About 1/2 way through, the guy broke out the perfect gas law to prove why there was such a big difference in hp after adding an intercooler. With 4 significant figures. Only problem, he used °C instead of K.
On the other hand, and I've found a couple of Vizard books fairly good.

rv6ejguy

My first impression of car performance articles wasn't good. It was about the benefits of intercooling turbo engines. About 1/2 way through, the guy broke out the perfect gas law to prove why there was such a big difference in hp after adding an intercooler. With 4 significant figures. Only problem, he used °C instead of K.
On the other hand, and I've found a couple of Vizard books fairly good.
? I don't see the connection to this thread.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Russell just finished another SARL event. "Today we ran in the BCAF Air Race. The 147 nautical mile course had four turns with the finish at the same place as the start. We beat our best speed ever buy just over 1 MPH. Our average speed was 252.95 MPH."

Not bad for 201 cubic inches.
Russell, Bruce Hammer and Jeff LaVelle continue to demonstrate that the Glasair, a 30+ year old design and the first moulded composite kit in the USA, has excellent aerodynamics, contrary to popular opinion.

BJC

Last edited:

tspear

I do not have even close to the knowledge or skills to use an auto engine conversion.
I wish there was a sufficient market for someone to build a FWF package for the the size of aircraft I am interested in. In the meantime, I will salute those who can do it.

Tim

max_burke

HBA Supporter
Russell, Bruce Hammer and Jeff LaVelle continue to demonstrate that the Glasair, a 30+ year old design and the first moulded composite kit in the USA, has excellent aerodynamics, contrary to popular opinion.

BJC
The first Glasair I flight was almost 40 years ago!

rv6ejguy

From Russell today on Fly Soob: "Last Saturday the Big Muddy Air Race took place, this was the fourth air race for the 2017 season that we have run in.

We came in third out of 28 racers. First went to the 850 HP turboprop Lancair. Second was an IO-540 Lancair that was less than 8 MPH faster than we were.

Below are our average speeds for this year … this last race we turned our best speed ever!

Texoma Air Race -145 mile closed circuit - Average speed 250.94 MPH

BCAF Air Race - 159 mile closed circuit - Average speed 252.95 MPH

Hardin Air Race - 135 mile closed circuit - Average speed 251.92 MPH

Big Muddy Air Race - 137 mile closed circuit - Average speed 254.77 MPH

Throttle Up.

Russell Sherwood

Glasair I RG / Subaru EG33"

___

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

From Russell on the Sube forum:

"Yesterday the 2017 Indy Air Race took place. This was a challenging race course … there were two energy eating 140 degree turns. I thought this course would cut into our speeds. I made a few drag reducing adjustments and we turned our best time yet. Our Subaru EG33 not only took first in our class but we took first over all racers. Our average speed over the 133 nautical mile closed circuit was 256.66 MPH. The best the completion could muster was 228.73 MPH.

Who is it that says an auto engine can’t sustain continuous high RPM?

We love our Subaru!"

rv6ejguy

This just in from Flysoob:

"The Ghost Run Air Race took place yesterday. Our Glasair/Subaru dominated all other piston aircraft. We came in second behind Mike Patey and his turbine powered Extreme Lancair Legacy.

Our Subaru EG33 ran its fastest race ever. The average speed over a 155 nautical mile course was 256.91 MPH.

Man, I love this Subaru!

Russell Sherwood"

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Second only to Turbulence! And burning a comparatively small quantity of hydrocarbons too.

rv6ejguy

Russell just set a new speed record on Nov. 11th at the Rocket Race for his SARL Class- 261.60 mph running the whole race at 5250 rpm.

Here's Russell's stats for the 2017 SARL Season:

Texoma Air Race - 145 mile closed circuit - Average speed 250.94 MPH

BCAF Air Race - 159 mile closed circuit - Average speed 252.95 MPH

Hardin Air Race - 135 mile closed circuit - Average speed 251.92 MPH

Big Muddy Air Race - 137 mile closed circuit - Average speed 254.77 MPH

Indy Air Race - 133 mile closed circuit - Average speed 256.66 MPH

Ghost Run Air Race - 155 mile closed circuit - Average speed 256.91 MPH

Rocket Air Race - 159 mile closed circuit - Average speed 261.60 MPH

Last edited: