• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quicksilver Sprint, Sport, 2s comparisons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway John

I really love my RV-6, but I’m tired of this airport to airport business. Too many times, I’m finding remote areas I would love to land into but can’t get to. I’m thinking it is going to be difficult to beat the take off and landing figures of the Quicksilvers. And they have a solid reputation AFAIK. I’ve got a lot of desolate areas in CO I want to explore. I’ll still use the RV to find these places, but would like to get the Quicksilver in for an overnight camp out stay, to where I could do some exploring. I’ll probably be flying solo most of the time, but will consider the two-seater for carrying extra gear, or occasionally if I want to take another up. I understand two seat ultralights tend to fly like a truck though, is this generally true?

Anyway, using the two-seaters for comparison, really love the Sprint performance figures compared to Sport, and love these more so than the strut braced Quicksilvers. Take off and landing wise, you can’t beat it. The Sport having the underside of the wing covered, will get you an additional 1-3 mph at cruise, over the Sprint, but it’s hard to beat the Sprint in take off and landing.

Now I never really cared for all of the cables that the Sprint and Sport have, but I understand they are stronger than struts to go this way, so I can live with it, although they are a bit of a more pain to assemble and disassemble, and need a high clearance door area if left assembled.

Something I’m not understanding is why the strut braced Quicksilvers don’t even come close to performing as well as the other two cable braced Quicksilvers on TO & L. Could someone tell me why? I noticed the wing has to be about two feet shorter on the strut braced, so I suppose this is this mainly why. Correct?

http://www.uflyit.com/quicktwoperform.htm

Back