Pushrod bearings?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Eugene

IMG_3681.jpegIMG_3682.jpeg
Need help. I have all kinds of connections on my airplane that use this kind of bearings. I have no idea what they called. I have no idea where to get them. Especially where to get metric ones, since airplane was built in Europe. Some of them have pretty large play and really need to be replaced. I don't know correct procedure for a placement. Need all information I can get. Thank you!
IMG_3679.jpegIMG_3678.jpeg

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah

Eugene

What's holding this bearing from sliding out is 3 pinch points only. From what I see this is perfectly acceptable way to do this? Wondering what would be a correct procedure for replacing this bearing? The best way to do it by pressing it out? And new one will be hold into place exactly same way?

IMG_3679.jpeg

TFF

That is called staking. That one is a little crude but that’s one way. Usually the parts fit so that if it comes a drift, you can still control safety to get down.

wktaylor

MIL-HDBK-1599 BEARINGS, CONTROL SYSTEM COMPONENTS, AND ASSOCIATED HARDWARE USED IN THE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF AEROSPACE MECHANICAL SYSTEMS AND SUBSYSTEMS ( https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsSearch.aspx) might be useful for understanding aircraft bearing in the many flavors they come in. What You are showing us, are different forms of 'rod-ends with self-aligning spherical or ball [anti-friction] bearings'. The bearings appear to be commercial grade bearings... assuming there are no 'ASxx', 'MSxx', 'Mxx' or NASxx part-numbers on the opposite sides.

Essentially the individual bearings are lightly installed-into, and retained within, the precision ID structural housings with either ring-, roller- or ball-staking methods. CAUTION These bearings are installed in close-reamed/bored-fit... never transition or press-fit... holes.

Eugene

My God, there is so many different flavors!!!. What kind should I use for your plane???
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 21.40.00.png

dwalker

I have dealt with these folks for a very long time. They really prefer to sell in bulk, but they are good people. If they do not have it, they very well may make it for you.