• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Proseal nightmare!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysmiths

OK, I'm building the wing tanks for my BD-4, the skin is prosealed to the ribs essentially; my first real time with the black death (other than sealing the bottom of the battery box which was no big deal) so I read, read ,read.....get my stuff assembled, got the table sitting there with the gloves, popsickle sticks, MEK, nozzles, clecos, paper towels, I take a deep breath and GO, early in the morning because the daytime highs here in TX run over 100 degrees and the "shop" is definitely not air conditioned.

I get all my tubes of PRC1422-B-6 (6 hours) and with the heat, figure I've got maybe 2 hours to work...off I go, working fast, learning about the stuff, learning that MEK really doesn't thin it as I'd read, learning that "alcohol on the finger to smooth it doesn't really work very well either BUT progress is happening and THEN I've got Proseal getting thick and setting into rubber, won't spread, it's a MESS. I toss that tube, 3/4 full and too hardened to push any out and open another, now I'm really working fast because I figure the heat, now up to upper nineties is the deal! I streak through one more tube and decide to quite halfway through, I don't have a good feeling about this by now. I start scraping half sticky proseal off and the mess really mushrooms now.

Next day, still trying to figure out what to do and again blaming the heat, that little intuitive voice we all hear sometimes said "check the packages!". So out to the trash filled with black nasty gloves and popsickles sticks and zillions of paper towels to dig out the packages AND NOW I FIND THAT 2 OF THE 8 PACKAGES WERE NOT[/B]
PRC1422-B-6 BUT FREAKING PRC1422-B-1/2----30 minute pot life at 70 degrees!

Moral of the story: Double freaking check your order to make sure some clerk somewhere didn't SCREW UP!

Back