• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Props for Sonerai Aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
New to this and trying to find the best prop for my Sonerai project. I have a 2180 CC Revmaster. I prefer a climb prop. Who should I go with? I have limited budget but will entertain anything all suggestions.

Thanks

Welcome Falcon83. You are in the right place to learn all things Sonerai.

The consensus here seems to be Sterba or Cloudcars props. Sonerai pilots seem to get good performance with these, although there are quite a few other reputable prop makers out there. Be sure to read the sticky about static RPM. You can also use the search function to find threads specific to props.

You can also post pictures in a gallery here. Most of us learn quite a lot from member's Sonerai build pics.

Tom

Falcon, as a baseline, my Sterba 54x48 was suggested by Greatplains as a good mid-range prop for the 2180 GPASC conversion. I was achieving up to 3400 rpm static. I'm thinking it will be a good starting place for me.

Skip

I agree with Tom. The climb props seem to give great performance while keeping the little Vdub happy. I have learned a lot from the old timers here. So ask your questions and wait for them to answer. Some don't look at forum everyday. Decide what you want as far as speed then ask away.

Welcome and keep us posted. You will avoid a lot of problems if you do.

Folks,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I get excited about the project and I will post pictures soon enough.

Cheers

Folks,
I am looking at a prop that seems like a deal. I want to see if this will be a good first prop. Invariably I intend to change the prop to the Sterba prop recommended. I saw a Seinsinich 68" long with a pitch of 63. It came off a 100Hp Rotax.
All thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Thanks

WAY too much prop for a direct drive VW. The rotax has a gearbox that allows it to swing a lot of propeller.

I agree that it is too much. CAll Jay at Cloudcars or Ed Sterba. They should be under $500 including shipping.

Falcon. I am not an expert on prop pitch for VW engines, so very simply, I rely on those who are, coupled with my knowledge, experience with past aircraft, engines and prop pitches. The principles are the same. Do not guess on prop pitch or just search for a deal. That is a.perfect.formula for injury or death. Talk to those who know. Engine manufactures, aircraft designers, and.simply put...those who have been there.

Skip

Back