Quantcast

Propellers for vw engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Streffpilot

Hey, I was wondering if other than wood props can be used on a vw 4 banger......

I was wondering about powerfin, or warp drive.....or any others.... I was just looking at a ground adjustable so i have options for the minimax......

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Wood props only except for the Revmaster engine.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Not an uncommon thought. Heck, I've had the same, trying to figure out how to do a feathering prop on my 1/2 VW-powered motorglider design project.

Fact is, most of the VW-conversion manufacturers very strongly recommend sticking with a wooden prop. Reason being that wood damps the vibrations passed to the prop by the engine much better than the other types. A non-wood prop can potentially resonate and amplify those vibrations, whereupon bad things tend to happen.

Anyone, aren't there one or two VW conversion manufactures out there that don't suggest this restriction? I seem to vaguely recall someone either said nothing about it, or claimed their engines were okay with something like a Warp Drive. I have no memory who that might be, however. It may be that they simply overlooked noting it.

EDIT: Thanks, Pops. I thought there was someone.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I wonder if weight doesn't factor into it, I doubt if most composite props are lighter than a wood one because most are solid layup. Sensenich has recently (for me) come out with a hollow composit for 65hp and bigger lyc's and cont's that may prove adaptable to a vw with at least 65hp http://www.sensenich.com/products/item/138, buyer beware and it is spendy maybe pricier than your engine.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
There have been several motorgliders over the years with VW-derivative motors (Limbach) and feathering/adjustable pitch propellers (Hoffmann and MT). They have wood-core blades, though. Pricey!

I'm still not a big fan of ground adjustable propellers, but that's a different discussion.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Wood props are somewhat "ground alterable" with a disc sander or by hand sanding block. Doesn't take much to change the pitch 1°.
Perhaps ask the prop maker to leave it a bit thick and unfinished. Get it tuned in then add tip fabric.
Tuned in mostly means proper pitch for correct static full power run up.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
In addition to the weight factor, it is possible that the natural vibration damping of wood makes it preferable in this application.

As far as I know, none of the VW-derived airplane engine manufacturers have an objection to wood props with composite wraps.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Culver 60" X 26" wood prop on my 1835 cc VW engine weighs 3 lbs.