• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Problems using Motorcycle motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

Hi,

I'm not a motor expert and I really wonder when I see the next website (down). It's realiable to use motorcycle motor in airplane? (not about if the rpm are good or not, otherwise with temperature and maintain the 70% power 3 hours or negative G's problem, for example).

"Motorcycle engines, though very high tech these days and capable of putting out huge horsepower, are not designed to operate like airplane engines. Airplanes can fly for hours on end at a steady 70 percent power, motorcycles usually operate far below that level with occasional bursts of high revs. Motorcycle engines have power but they're not designed to deliver it the way airplanes need it, not that they can't do it and with some gearing to get the revs right, they might do it. But problems with a motorcycle means you coast to the berm and check it out, problems with a plane means you look for a place to set her down, preferably close by and smooth. It's one area where engine choice might be a bit more critical and using an engine designed for that purpose might make a lot of sense. Again, homebuilders do a lot of great work and they may have just the right combination of skills to use something from a motorcycle and make it work reliably."

source: Motorcycle Engine Powered Airplanes

Thank you!

Typhoon

Back