preceptor aircraft

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by firefighter3562, Aug 1, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2010 #21

shafferpilot

shafferpilot

shafferpilot

a solid plan indeed. Keep communicating and i have no doubt you can pull this company's reputation back to where it should be

2. Oct 4, 2010 #22

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

That is got to be the best news I have heard regarding Preceptor aircraft.
    You have given me some hope of receiving a kit. Thanks for that

3. Oct 7, 2010 #23

04 Marine

04 Marine

04 Marine

Well,

The numbers keep growing! We are now up to 4 undelivered kits and I know of a 5th that may be lurking somewhere in the deep dark reaches of the closet. According to the buyers we have one kit at 3 years, 2 kits at 18 months and destine for Australia, and one kit at about 9 or 10 months. However, as of this update we are still on track.

I had a long conversation with Duwayne yesterday and he has told me that he is aware of the precarious position that he's in and that is is fully beind the transfer of Preceptor Aircraft's product line. In fact Duwayne offered to stay available for a period of time as our technical advisor.

I know is is working hard to vacate his current facility as it has been sold. It appears that Duwayne is putting everything into storage. Once he's out of the building I think we'll have a better opportunity to complete the transfer and haul everything west.

In the intrim, I appreciate your words of encouragement and offers of support. I just hope that our team will prove worthy of your kind comments.

Glen

4. Oct 9, 2010 #24

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

If Duwayne Counts is vacating the premises, does anyone know wher he is going, I don't want this guy out of my sights. I intend to pursue him for a refund of my money.

5. Oct 23, 2010 #25

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

Glen, can you give us a status report?
    Thanks.

6. Oct 24, 2010 #26

JDunseith

JDunseith

JDunseith

I beleive i seen on the STOL list that Glen had (wisely backed out) not much other info was given other than maybe another plan was in the works
    no idea what that would be

7. Nov 1, 2010 #27

stingray

stingray

stingray

GLEN , I did a complete re-design on a (one off) ultra pup a couple of years back. Its now called an Ultra Decathalon. Every system on this aircraft has been updated and modernized. Sounds like im one of the few that got all the parts i paid for. I did not use a lawyer to achive this, but i did use a very big stick.

8. Nov 6, 2010 #28

MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer

Anything more on Preceptor and /or Duwayne Counts?

9. Nov 17, 2010 #29

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

I left a message on DuWayne's cell phone to call me, and he actually called both my cell and home phone. He has moved, and said he should be back up and running by this weekend(11/20/10). His new shop phone number is 828-625-0600 and the new fax is 828-625-0601. I have ordered from him and am doing my best to get my kit and some others kits too. I'll be calling him the first week of December for an update and a delivery date. If/when I get any more information, I'll post it here.

Marty

10. Nov 18, 2010 #30

jkahabka

jkahabka

jkahabka

Hi Glen,
    I saw your post about making parts for Preceptor. I recently purchased a N3 Pup that has been sitting for a few years. It has many options that put it over the 254lb limit for the 103 category which I'm good with because I want to make it a Super Pup. It has a 2cyl Mosler/Tec on it now. Only 66 hours on engine and airframe. Anyway...I'll swap the engine out for a 4cyl Greatplanes or Hummel. My question is about fuel tanks. Do you know where I can get the wing kit tanks for the Preceptors? I followed the thread, which had a post yesterday, and it looks like Duwayne is opening up a new shop. I'm a little leary to order anything from him to say the least. Hopefully Preceptor may come back stronger than it has but that is yet to be seen. Anny info you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.....
    Thanks Glen...
    Jeff

11. Nov 19, 2010 #31

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

If you haven't already, have Duwayne take a look at this thread, and see if he'll address some of his past customers if he’s actually going to answer his phone now. Glad after two years, he’s started answering it for a few, anyway.

Just read his homepage again. I remain skeptical of his timeline of how he lays things out, as if this recent move caused the problems and put him in this precarious situation. His problems started well before the move.

Also says Duwayne:

Glen, do you know who he is referring to as a “hostile takeover”? I thought that was only a term used for publicly traded companies that had stock.

Marty, do let us know how it goes.

http://www.preceptoraircraft.com/

12. Nov 19, 2010 #32

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

I see the Preceptor site is down, yet another thing in the long list, to emphasise how incapable Duwayne really is.

13. Nov 23, 2010 #33

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

I guess I was one of few that had read the latest before it went down. Or maybe somebody could have taken it down for other reasons too. Five days now, and it’s still down.

Duwayne may be monitoring this thread though. I notice when you type in Preceptor Aircraft on a google, after the first three sites are devoted to Preceptor Aircraft, this thread pops up next. If you look at this thread, there were quite a few new posters that have responded with complaints, which I imagine found it through google.

Did anyone else read his home page just before it went, or was taken down? Duwayne had said on it that he was going to be having two manufacturers deal with the parts, while he concentrated on the plans. One thing that really stood out is that one of his major manufacturers was going to be in Alaska. I wonder how cost effective that is going to be shipping to the lower 48? Assuming that was actually going to be the case.

I had known that Preceptor Aircraft had problems for at least two years, because again that’s how long I tried to reach him without a single call ever returned back or any e-mails ever returned, and many others stating similar things. But apparently, the same problems people have with Preceptor Aircraft go back at least five years under Duwayne. He hasn’t changed one iota: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7208.html

I can just guess that the only reason the Attorney General hasn’t went after him in his state is because they have bigger fish to fry. I suspect he eventually delivers some parts out to a few, and that shuts up the most vociferous ones.

14. Nov 23, 2010 #34

Geoffrey Thorpe

Geoffrey Thorpe

Geoffrey Thorpe

I read it. It didn't sound at all like he was preparing to sell the buisness as one person in this thread had suggested.

Too bad. I like the design...

15. Dec 6, 2010 #35

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Still no updates for us, Marty? The first week of December has passed, and if you didn't get your kits from him, how about at least a solid delivery date? Over two weeks straight now and his site is still down. I hope you're still having luck getting him to answer his phone, but I imagine that probably is about on par with his site being down too.

16. Dec 6, 2010 #36

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

17. Dec 6, 2010 #37

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Thanks, it looks like their old url is gone for good. Normally, when they are fixing to change url’s, it gets mentioned ahead of time on the present site, if it was planned, anyway.

18. Dec 7, 2010 #38

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

I can see how Duwayne has got a bit over his head in these troubled times. These structures are not made by the wave of a magic screwdriver. I know the feeling as a electrician, people expect me to work magic all the time. Lets give DuWayne the benefit of a doubt. I know he probably owes a few people some kits and or parts, and may owe some a refund at best.
    It does seem that he is trying to get reestablished. I know that may be hard for some of you to realize. Some of us are going thru some very hard times. Lets give him a chance anyways. Don't expect a two weeks to taxi program from him. I wonder where Glen went? He talked a good game and now he's gone. Maybe he was the hostile takeover!

19. Dec 7, 2010 #39

Joe

Joe

Joe

As of Pearl Harbor day, what is the status of Preceptor Aircraft Co? Also I am interested in a good used 3 n ultra. I am 6'6" and the fit is important.

20. Dec 7, 2010 #40

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Duwayne is using the term, “hostile takeover” rather loosely. This is not a stock owned company AFAIK. But it sounds good on his site, and makes his company appear bigger than what it really is.

The e-mail Glen showed us had Duwayne agreeing to the terms, whatever they were at the time. I didn’t read the STOL thread where someone on this thread said Glen had backed out. From this thread, according to Glen, more people were coming forward that hadn’t received kits, and that may have been why he backed out.

Not sure how much benefit of doubt Duwayne should be getting, you either deliver what you say you are going to deliver in a reasonable time, with maybe 25% or some money down, or you give the customer his or her money back if you can’t do that, and that is what the customer wants.

I can only vouch for Duwayne’s reputation and history of never getting back with folks, but as I stated, I never put any money down. Out of curiosity, over a period of years, I would still occasionally call just to see if he ever picked up the phone or return my phone call if he was still using his answering machine. In fact, thought I would try again now. Here is the phone number Marty gave us: 828-625-0600 on this thread. It's the same number that is on his latest site since his other appears gone for good now. I just tried to call. It said the number has been temporarily disconnected.

I’m a businessman too, and I would never use or blame the “bad economy” as an excuse to keep someone’s money while not delivering what was promised. I’d simply stop taking orders, and give the money back if I couldn’t deliver. A bad economy doesn’t keep me from keeping my word. It’s what keeps me in business. Any “good company” or businessman does the same.