preceptor aircraft

Discussion in 'Supplier / Manufacturer Announcements' started by firefighter3562, Aug 1, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 8, 2010 #41

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

Yes John, I believe that if Duwayne could not deliver the parts or kits that were ordered, he should not have accepted the order.
    Sometimes I get a little to opinuated after a few scotches. I will refrain myself from doing this in the future. Please accept my apology. I do hope that Duwayne can pull himself together and recover from his mistakes.

2. Dec 8, 2010 #42

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

Stingray, I would be very interested in more details of your Ultra Decathalon. Are plans available?

3. Dec 8, 2010 #43

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Steve, you’re fine, no problem on any of this, and I understand how some may feel like one should give that company the benefit of the doubt. I always like to hear what you have to say. For the many that have had experience with Preceptor Aircraft though, I can also understand why their patience is also running out. He could do wonders by just giving the customers their money back for those that didn’t get their kits in a timely manner, and just making himself available, and stop the games of not returning phone calls and e-mails. I don’t believe they ever responded to the BBB when customers filed complaints with them either.

After their former site shut down, I’m glad that this thread is now # 2 on a google search engine when people type in “Preceptor Aircraft” now. Anybody that plans on having dealings with this company should be aware of what they are most likely to expect.

C-ya around. (BTW, I’m still researching those EAA rules on the other thread; you’ve given me plenty to think about. That was a good find on that rule.)

4. Dec 8, 2010 #44

stingray

stingray

stingray

The Ultra Decathalon is a one off based on the ultra pup. Every system in this aircraft has been modified or updated in some way to end up what I have. I still have the cowl molds and all the former templates , but the list of modifications is to long for here. EW 610 lbs. Take off @ max 1100 is 450'. Cruse 93mph. ( haven't finished speed mods yet ). Pm me for more info. Regards Patrick

5. Dec 14, 2010 #45

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

Have you an update on your order? I have been trying to make contact with Duwayne on the new number on my order, I have left messages with no reply as of yet.
    Bob

6. Dec 14, 2010 #46

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

Patrick,

If I may, Your airplane is gorgeous (thank you for the photos) I would like to see you start a post/thread just on your plane, and post some pictures.
    I think members here would really like it.
    Don't mean to put you on the spot like this, but I think it is worth sharing.
    Bob

7. Dec 15, 2010 #47

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

I've emailed Duwayne and asked him to come by and respond to this thread.

Before we go forward with this thread, I want to remind everyone that what I hold most dear about homebuiltairplanes.com is it's friendly atmosphere. That doesn't mean we should whitewash the truth in any way but I do expect everyone to remain calm and use measured responses. These threads (not necessarily this one yet) can have tendency to spiral out of control if we are not careful.

I've only had a real issue with two posts in this thread One involved the use of violence and the other was some name calling that didn't really add anything to the conversation. If you have a question as to why I would delete such posts, please Private Message me and I'd be happy to explain it. Deleting posts can be a touchy subject. :hammer:

Anyway, thanks for your understanding and restraint. I hope Duwayne responds so we can hear from him directly.

8. Dec 15, 2010 #48

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

Good luck with getting Duwayne to respond Jman, I am one of his disgruntled customers , giving me first hand experience of how this man does business.
    I do believe , other potential customers of Preceptor aircraft should have a good understanding of what they are getting themselves into.
    When I forked out a huge wad of cash to Duwayne, all the comments on the net were positive about the company, unfortunetly these comments were out of date and were relating to the time his father actually ran the business.

Duwayne, I would really love to see your response. ( or excuse )

9. Dec 17, 2010 #49

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

10. Dec 17, 2010 #50

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

I had the same results on the web site, that one is disabled. I'll post if I hear anything.
    Bob

11. Dec 18, 2010 #51

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

12. Dec 20, 2010 #52
    After doing a lot of searching for plans of an all alum. tandem stol aircraft plans, I stumbled upon Preseptor aircraft. They seem to fit the bill and plans were tubular instead of sheet alum. I am very glad I remembered the name Preceptor Aircrafts. I came back here to verify my memory.
    I will continue to brouse and search for a decent set of plans at a resonable price. Picking the right aircraft tobuild is very important to me.
    Sincerly Marty

13. Dec 20, 2010 #53

04 Marine

04 Marine

04 Marine

Perhaps it's time to clear the waters.

Yes we withdrew our offer to purchase Preceptor Aircraft. Business decisions can sometimes be complex but this one was not. When we sent our proposal to Duwayne it was at his insistence, indicating that he has not yet seen it. Within hours he emailed a response accepting our proposal to acquire Preceptor Aircraft and thanked us for the opportunity. Essentially, we offed to accept what we believed at the time were the paid for but undelivered kit liabilities of the company. Initially it seemed there were only 3 kits that had been paid for but not delivered. One in Australia, one in Minnesota and one in Maryland. DuWayne assured us that only 3 kits were outstanding. The gent who make the fuselages in Alaska had told me he thought the number was much higher and told me about a 4th individual who was now unlocatable. Then...another popped up on this site another gent in Australia. Despite DuWaynes assurnaces that only 3 kits were outstanding one for almost 3 years, we now had 5 folks that alledged they had paid for kits, but not received them. I confronted DuWayne during a telephone conversation and asked him point blank if 5 was the magic number, his only response was "I think so". Just last week i was contacted by a gent in New York indicating that he had bought a nearly complete airplane 2 years ago but had yet to receive it. This now makes at least 6 undelivered kits.

So why did we withdraw our offer. We had the same problem many of you complain about...we could not get a response from DuWayne with the inventories or customer list so that we could write up an agreement as to what would be transferred. At this same time the undelivered kit list continued to grow and we just could not see the potential end in sight. Without being able to determine what our liabilities were going to be our group was becoming concerned. DuWayne was not responding with the requested information, many of the buyers had given him an ultimatum about when they would start legal action. When that date arrived, we were no further along then when he initially accepted our proposal and we withdrew our offer so as not to be involved in the legal action that was likely pending.

What's a hostile takeover? Most notably it is the acquisition of public traded stock to gain a controlling interest in a corporation. However, when you make a push to buy a company that is not for sale the action could be considered hostile. However, when the owner asks you to resend your proposal and then accepts it within hours we saw it as an offer to buy a troubled company and to bail our an owner who may or may not be in over his head. At one point DuWayne offered to stay on as a technical advisor to which I responded that I thought that was a good idea.

Unfortunately, to date we have not received any type of a response to our letter of withdrawal. We assume by his webpage entry that he received it. But, then who knows. Towards the end we thought we might go the legal route to force the matter, but as the debt load kept growing we saw his reluctance to produce the required information to write up a sales agreement as a storke of luck and we withdrew.

Personally, I think Preceptor Aircraft still has a good future. They have a good product line, but need to support it better. Personally, I would recommend still buying plans and parts but only on a COD basis until the company shows improvement in product support and delivery. I hope that all of you can see, I'm not upset that this did not work out. A proposal is just that, It's a place to start a meaningful discussion from. This discussion just did not take off, so we exited the discussion. When you are trying to buy a business that may not initially be for sale, it just has to make sense, if it does not or ceases to make sense than you have to save your funds and look for something else.

Regards,

Glen

14. Dec 20, 2010 #54

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

How much of this thread did you read?

15. Dec 20, 2010 #55

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Wrongway John

Thanks for sharing, Glen. I wish I could share the same optimism as you about the future of Preceptor Aircraft, but as long as Duwayne (or is it DuWayne?) is in charge, I don’t.

Concerning “hostile takeover”, even though he wasn’t using it in the usual stock traded sense, it doesn't appear hostile about what you described. I also noticed when Duwayne’s site came back on again, he edited out that word, and now just goes with "takeover."

Since a few have made him aware of this thread including the administrator of this site, I’m sure he is reading it, and could also clear the air. Why and when he decides to ever pick up the phone, return phone calls, or answers e-mail is a mystery to many.

For those that are claiming monetary losses, perhaps they should start getting in touch with one another and verifying through their paperwork and records how much each has been out. They could share the costs of an attorney without it costing any one individual too much. I don’t know what the statute of limitations is, but you can’t go on forever. And AFAIK, I don’t think you have to have a minimum number of people to file a class action lawsuit if that is what you choose.

16. Dec 21, 2010 #56

stingray

stingray

stingray

Bob didn't see your post till today. If I find time over Christmas I may put some more pics out there.
    Regards. Patrick

17. Dec 22, 2010 #57

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

Does anybody have Duwaynes actual address and a phone number he can be contacted on. The address on the website is still the old one and none of the phone numbers seem to work.
    Send me a PM, if not happy to post the details on this forum. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Dale

18. Dec 23, 2010 #58

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

I have started a thread on the flypreceptor group on yahoo to try an consolidate open /pending orders to Preceptor Aircraft.
    The purpose is to be able to track the order competitions and deliver times, And get a better picture of improvement or decline in order fulfillment. This is a copy of the post. You can reply directly to the post with your info or if you would like, PM me and I will add this to the post with out your user name info.
    Bob

Re: Pending Preceptor Orders List # 1

1. One N3-Pup kit....ordered Dec 2009.........Status; scheduled to ship end of
    Dec 2010.

2. Two N3-Pup kits........ordered two years ago.....Status; 80% completed. Ship
    date unknown.

3.Dream DVD .......ordered Nov. 2010...........Status; ship date unknown.

4. Ultra Pup Cowl, Pup Operating Manual, Flap Drawings......Ordered June,
    2010..........Status; received Pup Operating Manual, Ultra Pup cowl, flap
    drawings ship date unknown.

All this info is from the customers. If you have pending orders, you can PM me
    and I will include your info anonymously, then when you have an update PM me
    again to update.
    I am winging this data base so please bear with me.
    Bob

--- In flypreceptor@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <robertnobody@...> wrote:
    >
    > The purpose of this post/thread is to be a tool for gathering information on
    pending orders to Preceptor Aircraft.
    >
    > These are orders, anything from aircraft plans, parts, kits and everything in
    between, that have been submitted and payed for, but not completed or delivered.
    This would require you to have proof of purchase payment (receipt).
    >
    >
    >
    > The list will show
    >
    > 1. Orders still pending.
    >
    > 2. Status of those orders.
    >
    > 3. Then for you too reply to this post once you have received your order or a
    status report on your order, so that the rate of order completions can be
    determined.
    >
    > Due to the different levels of events that Preceptor has went through in the
    recent past, i.e. employee turn around, Company relocation etc.
    >
    > So as to any records lost on orders, Preceptor can address this list and
    compare to company records to help satisfy customer's orders or refunds. Which
    ever applies?
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand the urge to vent frustration. But I would ask of you, to please
    keep your reply focused on the information pertaining to your order.
    >
    >
    >
    > 1. When did you place the order?
    >
    > 2. Was order paid for and do you have receipt?
    >
    > 3. What items did you order?
    >
    > 4. Have you been updated on your order's status, and if so, when?
    >
    >
    >
    > Then please post any updates to your order to this post.
    >
    >
    >
    > For those who are contemplating placing an order with Preceptor, I will be
    starting another post in a day or so to address the demand for new orders but
    are waiting to see the results, or to have contact with Preceptor.
    >
    >
    >
    > I am not affiliated with Preceptor Aircraft.
    >
    > This line of aircraft needs a good builder's support base for people to draw
    from. I am hopeful that Preceptor's service and support will contribute to that
    need.
    >
    > Bob

19. Dec 23, 2010 #59

supersnoop

supersnoop

supersnoop

Hi Bob
    In March 2009 I ordered and paid for in full a Preceptor UltraPup kit, including Engine mount for a Diehl case. propeller, skull cap and exhaust system.
    Up until now I have received nothing but BS from Duwayne. He has not answered any of my emails for several months now.
    Excuses to date have been
    - His sister was murdered
    - nobody will work for him
    -Fell off a roof
    -Had pneumonia
    -Hostile take over
    -Lost the moulds
    -Supplier in Alaska was too slow
    -Had alot of orders to fill
    - The list just goes on, this guy could write a book on almost believable reasons

I see no reason to keep my identity secret. The guy knows how I feel.

regards

Dale

20. Dec 23, 2010 #60

robertnobody

robertnobody

robertnobody

Dale,
    I have added your info.
    Thank you.
    Bob

>
    > 1. One N3-Pup kit....ordered Dec 2009.........Status; scheduled to ship end of Dec 2010.
    >
    > 2. Two N3-Pup kits........ordered two years ago.....Status; 80% completed. Ship date unknown.
    >
    > 3.Dream DVD .......ordered Nov. 2010...........Status; ship date unknown.
    >
    > 4. Ultra Pup Cowl, Pup Operating Manual, Flap Drawings......Ordered June, 2010..........Status; received Pup Operating Manual, Ultra Pup cowl, flap drawings ship date unknown.

5. Dale ordered Full Ultra Pup kit, including Engine mount for a Diehl case. propeller, skull cap and exhaust system......Ordered March 2009...........Status; unknown, ship date unknown. No replies to recent contact attempts.

6. One STOL King ................Ordered ? (do not have the date yet).......Status...received all the parts, fuselage ready for shipment.

>
    > All this info is from the customers. If you have pending orders, you can reply to the post or PM me and I will include your info anonymously, then when you have an update PM me again to update.
    > I am winging this data base so please bear with me.
    > Bob