Plastic Coating Spray Paint For Composite Landing Gear Legs

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by HomeBuilt101, Dec 23, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

HomeBuilt101

I want to coat my composite landing gear legs with a plastic-like coating.

I was hoping to get the clean and smooth gloss white look to the gear legs and I spent lots of time getting the carbon fiber sock to lay smooth and then I coated it with epoxy/glass beads and then sanding...sanding...and primer filling...and wet sanding and then sprayed on the white paint however the Duplicolor paint that I can get here in California just plain sucks... because it is easily chipped and scratched. After spraying and respraying and letting it sit for a week it looks really nice glossy and smooth (the look I was going for) however I can easily press my fingernail into the coating and practically chip it out with my fingernail.

I have looked at Plastidip however I wanted to get some feedback from people who have some experience with this either on cars or composite gear legs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastidip-Plastic-Rubber-Paint-400ml/dp/B000981AA2

There is the truck bed coating however I really want to avoid the texture on the legs and again I really want to (if possible) get the slick glossy white look.

There are other products that I am really considering such as Transtar 4303 Tex Coat Chip Guard however I have no experience with it.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/transta...lvba58JD9GWzsSYJrjbTr0FDmUd8tuAXMshoC6Zbw_wcB

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use. Naturally I really do not want to have to sand these legs down to the bare carbon fiber because I do not want to damage the fibers.

THANKS for your feedback and experience!!!

2. Dec 23, 2016 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

My gear legs are steel with fiberglass fairings that are painted with an automotive urethane paint. My home airport is grass. I've gotten no chips in 200 hours of flying my Sportsman 2+2.

What type of runways do you intend to operate from?

What type of airplane?

What type of paint?

BJC

3. Dec 23, 2016 #3

narfi

narfi

narfi

You can apply truck bed lining without the texture...... I dont know about landing gear but it works great for leading edges of horizontals and flaps behind landing gear prone to kicking up rocks on low wing aircraft.