"Pilot Training cost cut in half!"

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by PTAirco, Sep 27, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

So shouts the headline of this month's "Flying". Cessna's new 162 apparently does this. Uhm, exactly how does it do this?? It burns the same amount of fuel as a 150. It costs 4-5 times as much as a used 150 that most flying schools would use.

The real truth is, of course, that it is the LSA license that reduces the cost of PPL, not Cessna's 162. A Cub would make it cheaper.

The editorial staff of "Flying" seems to be in the advertising, not the information business. Most flight reports have nothing but glowing things to say about the products these days, and what the hell is some article doing about some luxury car in a magazine called "Flying"?

2. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Even that's a crock... sure, the legal requirements are only 20 hours for SP vs. 40 for a PPL, but how many pilots really get there license at 40. 60 or more is more common.

-Dana

The speed of light is greater than the speed of sound. That's why some people seem very bright until you hear them speak.

3. Sep 28, 2007 #3

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Yeah, that's pretty common with all the aircraft magazines these days. When was the last time you saw an article in Sport Aviation or Kitplanes that had more than token criticism of reviewed aircraft?

That and my own pet-peeve: While the magazines occasionally do a short 'low-cost flyers' article, cramming all the relevant aircraft into two or three pages, all the emphasis these days seems to be on the high end - Kitplanes just devoted their major article (again) to a $200,000+ turboprop 'kit'. Flying magazine seems bound and determined to avoid piston-engined aircraft altogether, apparently thinking that we're all in the market for Citation Mustangs...

Grumble, grumble, whine, whine...

4. Sep 28, 2007 #4

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I think the demise of the "Experimenter" magazine was lamentable. Does anyone remember it?

5. Sep 28, 2007 #5

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Yep.

6. Sep 28, 2007 #6

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Yeah. Experimenter was a good one. It was what Sport Aviation used to be back in the '70's and '80s. You could actually find useful articles about building an airplane in there, rather than "We fly a $2,000,000 'kit' plane" and "Twelve neat places to fly your $2,000,000 'kit' plane."

At the time of its debut, I remember feeling upset that Experimenter was just a sop to the homebuilding crowd so that Sport Aviation could turn into what it is now (despite vehement and mostly absurd denials from the EAA that SA was changing in any way). But after reading a few editions, I was relieved and amazed that EAA seemed to actually be back in the homebuilt business again. And then they canceled it.

SA still throws in the token article for the DIY people that used to be their reason for being, but mostly these days, it's just another copy of Flying. I let my membership lapse about three years ago, but from the occasional issue I see on friend's coffee tables, if anything it's even worse now.

Wow. I'm more bitter about this than I thought. :ermm:

7. Sep 28, 2007 #7

Rom

Rom

Rom

I am a recent subscriber the Sport Aviation magazine thinking EAA had to do something with experimental aircraft. The emphasis with the organization seems to be the promotion of kit aircraft. Even the web site articles in regards to home building and designing haven't been updated for 10 years.
    The real experimenters and the spirit of what that means seem to be here at HomeBuiltAirplanesdotcom.
    Thanks Guys

8. Oct 7, 2007 #8

Dana

Dana

Dana

Funny, just yesterday I was in a used bookstore looking for airplane bookx, and came across some old copies of SA from the late 60's and early 70's. Didn't buy them, but leafing through them was... refreshing.

I dropped my EAA membership after they dropped Experimenter.

-Dana

It's only premarital sex if you're going to get married.