Phazer Build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

I got the exhaust system laid out and have the primary tubes tacked together. I used the original flanges, the flexible couplers, the merge collector and tailpipe. I tried to keep the primaries equal length. A couple tubes moved when I tacked them so they are approximately equal length. I have a feeling they are close enough!

It was quite a puzzle! There were several ideas that didn't work out but I like how it ended up. I am going to hang it on the airplane before I finish weld it. I have a muffler to fit up and hang up somehow. The tailpipe may need to be adjusted for the muffler so final welding will wait.

Headers2.jpg

Headers1.jpg

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Its been a long time a coming, but I have the engine mount substantially done. Part of the process is learning to TIG weld. My welds are still ugly but I am confident they will hold. To prove it I hung 500 lbs. of lead on the engine mount this morning. Then I leaned on it for good measure. It survived that test. The next step is to add brackets to attach the oil tank, coolant header tank, ECU, VR, etc.

500 lbs. hanging on it. The five gallon buckets are not on the floor. The engine and gearbox weighs 100 lbs.
View attachment 109200

Engine mounted and oil tank and header tank located. The OSB board is the mockup firewall. Trying to figure out a simple way to mount the tanks.
View attachment 109201

What is the current weight of the engine? Looks great!

Marc W

The engine with the PSRU is about 102 lbs. The engine mount is 5 lbs. but it will gain a little more weight with brackets to hang accessories. I am waiting to get the air cleaner before I weigh the airbox. I haven't weighed the exhaust either. I will do that tomorrow.

I checked the length of the header tubes today. I read that a good way to check the runner lengths is to fill them with water to see if they are equal. I capped the ends and filled one with water and then poured it into the other tube. One tube shifted a little when I tacked it and it came out a hair shorter than I intended. Sure enough, that tube is about 1/8" shorter than the other one. Close enough, I would say!

rv7charlie

What motivated the change from the stock intake/airbox; space in the cowl? Was the weight of the original more, or less than your intake system?

Beautiful work, BTW.

Marc W

The stock airbox is a big bulky item. Mine is smaller to keep the cowl slimmer. The stock airbox is fairly light in spite of its size. It has a simple foam filter. I am using a K&N filter which is going to be a heavier filter. I don't have it yet so I don't know what the final weight will be.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Marc,

I didn't have the chance to expand on how impressed I am with your engine project and the different parts that are included. I really appreciate you taking the time to post pictures and provide information from start to finish.

The photographs clearly show superior craftsmanship.

It is exactly what I needed to study to instill the confidence required for me to choose this particular power plant and follow suit. I am so happy to have found a readily available four stroke, 80 hp, engine as light or lighter than the 582. I can't understand why there aren't more of these being used.

In my humble opinion, it is the answer to the 582. Without a doubt, I will be reaching out to you in the not so distant future as I get closer to needing my engine. I have been looking around and have found a few.

I wonder if it is possible to bed mount it?

Is there any specific type or serial numbers that I should be concerned with trying to acquire or is everything all the same and straight forward?

Just to confirm, yours is the Genesis (Phazer) 80 hp, with two cylinders correct?

Thanks again for your time and willingness to share.

Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

Marc W

Yes, I am converting a two cylinder Phazer. I believe they went on sale in 2007. My engine is out of a 2010 Venture Lite which is a two up built on the Phazer chassis.

It wouldn't be hard to weld up a bed mount. There was some discussion about it on the Facebook page. I don't know if it went beyond talk. I wouldn't count on it being lighter than a 582. I think 10 or 20 lbs. heavier than a 582 is more realistic.

In other news, my exhaust system will end up weighing about 11 lbs. with the muffler. It could be lightened a little if I used thinner wall SS instead of the .063" wall tubing I used.

I finished fitting and tacking some brackets for the oil tank and header tank this morning. Then I started laying out the radiator ducting. I am going to build a pressure recovery duct. I am using guidelines from rv6ejguy's videos on radiator ducting. There are two part's. This is the second one with design guidelines:
Good stuff!

The cardboard cutout below the engine is my first iteration on the duct design. The intake side has a 14 degree taper on the bottom and the outlet side is not going to stay the way it is shaped now. The radiator will be where the two parallel vertical lines are at the deep point of the cardboard. The bandsaw blade hanging below the cardboard is to get an idea of what the bottom line of the cowl will look like.

Duct Idea.jpg

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Yes, I am converting a two cylinder Phazer. I believe they went on sale in 2007. My engine is out of a 2010 Venture Lite which is a two up built on the Phazer chassis.

It wouldn't be hard to weld up a bed mount. There was some discussion about it on the Facebook page. I don't know if it went beyond talk. I wouldn't count on it being lighter than a 582. I think 10 or 20 lbs. heavier than a 582 is more realistic.

In other news, my exhaust system will end up weighing about 11 lbs. with the muffler. It could be lightened a little if I used thinner wall SS instead of the .063" wall tubing I used.

I finished fitting and tacking some brackets for the oil tank and header tank this morning. Then I started laying out the radiator ducting. I am going to build a pressure recovery duct. I am using guidelines from rv6ejguy's videos on radiator ducting. There are two part's. This is the second one with design guidelines:
Good stuff!

The cardboard cutout below the engine is my first iteration on the duct design. The intake side has a 14 degree taper on the bottom and the outlet side is not going to stay the way it is shaped now. The radiator will be where the two parallel vertical lines are at the deep point of the cardboard. The bandsaw blade hanging below the cardboard is to get an idea of what the bottom line of the cowl will look like.

View attachment 109912

Marc,

Thanks for the insight my friend. I could handle a 15-20 pound increase over the 582's final weight. Since I have a header tank I could use two less gallons fuel and save some weight on the front there.

The main issue I am concerned with is excessive weight on the nose gear strut which for the Pulsar I's were notoriously known to fail. I have the revised strut the manufacturer started using in response but it has been known to give way in certain situations.

I plan on having my strut magnafluxed and peened. if no flaws are discovered from the flux inspection. Additionally, there is an aftermarket device that is mechanically attached along the span to help prevent failures. I think it is called an anti splat device.

The nose gear wheel fork is made from cast aluminum and looks inferior in scope which appears like it could form stress cracks rather quickly. I think if I had a NG collapse with a prop strike, it would send me off the deep end. LOL

Again, thanks for your wisdom and insight and above all Nice Work!

Mooman

I got my engine mount from Greg mills at Mac areo, will be here on Thursday , for my kitfox 3, I am putting a 2016 phazer/ venture motor that I purchased from barn of parts