Phazer Build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

allonsye

I like that idea, although Dave Thatcher's reaction when I asked him about it was, "No. It is too light. Placing it far enough forward for balance will ruin the lines of the airplane."

BJC
Yeah..........that had already occurred to me. He designed the CX back when the Jab was under development now that I think about it - thus the incorporation of VW.

rv7charlie

What is more worthwhile is to keep hammering on the vendors that facebook is a terrible medium for marketing. Never had an account (as in NEVER; unrelated to current political machinations); never want one. It's senseless for data management because it is random stream of consciousness with no organization at all. And, it's the perfect consolidator of all your personal info, for the use of....who?

Charlie

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yeah..........that had already occurred to me. He designed the CX back when the Jab was under development now that I think about it - thus the incorporation of VW.
The four cylinder Jabaru existed then. The VW was considered to be much less costly.

And, it's the perfect consolidator of all your personal info, for the use of....who?
Anyone, and everyone, who is willing to pay FB a dollar.

BJC

Hephaestus

fb is just like here or yahoo groups, highly dependent on the search function - just pop into the yamaha group, hit search this group, enter your keywords.

It's just a medium - it has strengths and weaknesses like any. Nobody says you have to post your whole life there - but ignoring it and refusing to use it on principle makes little sense either.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Teal Jenkins makes the gear box
You will need to redo the wire harness and mac aero can possibly get you a engine mount

I have studied Mr. Jenkins gear boxes. At $3,500.00 each I was shocked. You get what you pay for I am certain. Thanks for the information on the wiring harness. It is much appreciated.

My first order of business is to create a carboard template of the engine's dimensions to get an idea of how much cowling rework I will have to do. Hopefully none but I am not counting on it.

All part of the fun of building your own airplane.

Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

Marc W

The CX4 was meant to be an economical aircraft to build and fly. I believe it is, but that is why it was designed for the VW.

Mr. Jenkins gear boxes are precision parts, made to tight tolerances. I believe you do get what you pay for. They are a plug and play solution. Bolt it on and run it, which is why I bought one. I am a great do it yourselfer, but in this case I want to get this airplane back in the air as soon as possible. At my age, I have more money than time.

Teal did join the forum. He hadn't been approved last I heard. Maybe he has by now.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
The CX4 was meant to be an economical aircraft to build and fly. I believe it is, but that is why it was designed for the VW.

Mr. Jenkins gear boxes are precision parts, made to tight tolerances. I believe you do get what you pay for. They are a plug and play solution. Bolt it on and run it, which is why I bought one. I am a great do it yourselfer, but in this case I want to get this airplane back in the air as soon as possible. At my age, I have more money than time.

Teal did join the forum. He hadn't been approved last I heard. Maybe he has by now.

I totally agree I can tell just by looking at the photo's that his work is superior and of the highest craftsmanship.

I still think more cost effective to buy Mr. Teals redrive along with the Phazer engine than it would be to buy a new 582. Last a helluva lot longer too!

Marc W

Its been a long time a coming, but I have the engine mount substantially done. Part of the process is learning to TIG weld. My welds are still ugly but I am confident they will hold. To prove it I hung 500 lbs. of lead on the engine mount this morning. Then I leaned on it for good measure. It survived that test. The next step is to add brackets to attach the oil tank, coolant header tank, ECU, VR, etc.

500 lbs. hanging on it. The five gallon buckets are not on the floor. The engine and gearbox weighs 100 lbs.
Load Test-500 lbs.jpg

Engine mounted and oil tank and header tank located. The OSB board is the mockup firewall. Trying to figure out a simple way to mount the tanks.
Locating Oil & Coolant Tank.jpg

Thanks for posting here. Eventually may give up my direct drive VW simplicity for a larger prop this woudl be a good fit. Keep a low cowl and loose some weight!

Attachments

Marc W

It should work well in a Cygnet. I understand it is better to keep the engine light.

Marc W

I am old and slow but I am still whittling away at it. I have the intake airbox almost done. I have a K&N air filter on backorder. The filter will mount on the near end in the first pic. Once the filter is mounted I can close it up. It will also need a couple of light struts to support it. You may wonder why the odd shape of the airbox. The second pic shows what is going on inside. The airbox may be a little bigger than it needs to be. The cowl will need a blister over the airbox but 1/2" more or less isn't going to matter much.
Airbox.jpg

Inside Airbox.jpg

Airbox ends and form block.
End Caps.jpg

I started on the exhaust headers today. Another adventure in welding is about to begin! I am reworking the snowmobile exhaust to fit the plane. It is stainless steel and the mandrel bends I bought are mild steel. I have never tried to weld stainless. Should be interesting!

Richard Roller

I am old and slow but I am still whittling away at it. I have the intake airbox almost done. I have a K&N air filter on backorder. The filter will mount on the near end in the first pic. Once the filter is mounted I can close it up. It will also need a couple of light struts to support it. You may wonder why the odd shape of the airbox. The second pic shows what is going on inside. The airbox may be a little bigger than it needs to be. The cowl will need a blister over the airbox but 1/2" more or less isn't going to matter much.
View attachment 109717

View attachment 109718

Airbox ends and form block.
View attachment 109719

I started on the exhaust headers today. Another adventure in welding is about to begin! I am reworking the snowmobile exhaust to fit the plane. It is stainless steel and the mandrel bends I bought are mild steel. I have never tried to weld stainless. Should be interesting!
Nice work on the box.