• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oxygen pressure regulator question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bifft

So, finally got tanks for my torch, starting to try to learn to weld decent. Tried it out for the first time today.

But, the oxygen regulator is acting strangely. Wanted to ask and make sure it isn't supposed to work this way before taking it back (just bought it Tuesday).

With the valve on the tank open, and the valve on the torch shut, the pressure on the regulated side slowly builds up even with the control knob all the way out. If you set the pressure with the torch valve open a bit to flow it does work, but as soon as you shut the valve the pressure starts going up again. Leave it long enough it goes up past the top of the gauge. I believe it isn't supposed to to that, and the acetylene valve doesn't (that one holds the pressure you set, 0 if the knob is out).

Is this something that is maybe a piece of dirt or something in the valve that can be blown out, or should I take it back?

Back