• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

overnose vision angle minimums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

From Raymer's Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders:

"A key concern for the front of the aircraft is the overnose vision angle. On your layout, draw a line from the pilot's eye forward, at a downward angle just touching the top of the cowling or whatever else prevents you from seeing further down. Try to give yourself at least a 10 degree overnose vision angle - Formula One racers require 15 degrees overnose vision. Most fighters have a 15-degree overnose vision angle and most transports have about 20 degrees."

Unless I am misunderstanding the defintion of overnose vision angle, I can't see how any of the formula 1 racers could comply with a 15 degree vision angle restriction if it exists. Picture of "Invictus" below:
NFS_7231.jpg

I have been looking around at sleeker experimental two place side by sides(Lancairs, glasairs, etc), and I can't picture any of them making 10 degrees.

The "worst" case I have noticed is the Nemesis NXT below. The vision angle couldn't be more than 2-3 degrees. Granted this plane certainly would not be considered an everyday flyer.

2-view.gif

Reducing frontal and overall whetted area, nevermind the improved asthetic appeal(sleeker), inspires me to keep the canopy as low as realistically feasible. This, of course, has a direct relationship with overnose vision angle. Especially with taildragger designs(my interest), ground handling visibility becomes a real concern. There have been growing interest in forward facing video "taxi cameras" (Jon Sharp's Nemesis NXT has one on his right side landing gear hooked up to a small lcd screen on his dash, been there for years)

For the rest of us, what is considered a reasonable overnose vision angle for small, sleek, side by side taildragger?

George

Back