Overheating 4130 with cut-off wheel?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

I use this type:

1585428620657.png

I paid Cdn$125 for mine, used. I don't have the large table for vertical use as shown in this picture; I just made a tiny one that doesn't need removing when I drop the head to cut bar or pipe or angle or whatever. I straddle the machine and sit on it while using it vertically.

Dan Thomas

....back then guarding was just a suggestion...
I made my first 14" bandsaw in the late 1970s, of old pipe and wood and the pulleys out of my mother's old Speed Queen washer. It had high and low speeds, for wood and metal. The wheels I cut with a sabre saw and mounted them on shafts with welded-on flanges (had a welder by then) and trued them up as they rotated. Used sections of old inner tube from heavy trucks for the wheel tires. I used it for 15 years and never got around to making any guards for it at all. Everything wide open. When you're young you don't worry much. I wouldn't sell it; too dangerous. Took it apart and trashed it. Current 14" saw is a Jet. With guards.

Dan Thomas

Doesn’t that clamp hurt?

BJC
Ha. You makes sure that nobody is behind you to tighten it....

Actually, you sit on the far end, not on the clamp. Biggest hazard is your right thigh pressing on the switch and turning the saw off. That switch is located there so a small tab on the moving arm pushes it off when the cut is finished.

thjakits

DESPITE your decades of experience clamping the saw in the vice (...and I DO NOT contradict you!!) - I will have to make some contraption to make it a defacto bench-band saw...

There is some stuff out there for purchase, but for that money you already buy another cheap porta-bandsaw!
BUT also plenty of samples on youtube!!

Here a load of the DIY:
Simple Harbor Freight BAUER BandSaw Stand
Portable Bandsaw Stand Build
🛠🎥 ECP: Franken Stand Portable Bansaw Stand made from scraps
A better mount for my portable bandsaw
DIY Portable Bandsaw Table
M^3 Portable Bandsaw Table Build (...btw, this guy is doing the vice thing to build his table!!)
Harbor Freight Portable Band Saw Stand
Milwaukee Portable Bandsaw Stand

Here a few clips of the SWAG table - rather expensive on Amazon:
SWAG V4.0 Portaband Table - MADE IN USA
SWAG OFFROAD BANDSAW TABLE: REVIEW, PROBLEM, AND SOLUTION.
Swag Off Road Porta Band Stand, should you Buy one!

'nough...

thjakits