One of my hobbies

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

galland

Hi guys. Not sure if this belongs here but I enjoy making small aircraft engines that run on compressed air. Here are a couple of them. Not any particular design but rather something that resembles the real thing. The small one is about 3 inches in diameter and the large one 7. Gary

Attachments

Tiger Tim

Very nice work! I have most of the pieces around here for a Pachasa air motor I started maybe fifteen years ago, I should really finish it.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Those are beautiful. Lovely work.

As an aside, do you know who (or if anyone) is making small CO2 engines for model airplanes? Much like yours, but only single cylinder and run on compressed CO2. I used to have one many years ago and flew balsa free-flight models on it. Would love to play with that sort of thing again.

Tiger Tim

single cylinder and run on compressed CO2. I used to have one many years ago and flew balsa free-flight models on it.
I have about 1.5 Telco Shark CO2 motors around here somewhere. I’ve bench run the complete one and even built a model for it at one time but could never work up the guts to release it into the wild. Rubber models seem to sting a lot less when they fly away...

TFF

That’s nice. V engines are cool.
I am old fashioned and want to do a rotary radial as a two stroke with glow. I have a 1/4 Camel RC in need.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
WOW Gary, those are fantastic! Beautiful work! I had a friend who built beautiful tiny free flight models using the Gasparin CO2 motors, and they were a sight to behold.

Now you jut need to scale those radial engines up just a liiiitttle bit... oh never mind me walking up behind you with a set of Flitzer biplane plans....

Bille Floyd

I have about 1.5 Telco Shark CO2 motors around here somewhere. I’ve bench run the complete one and even built a model for it at one time but could never work up the guts to release it into the wild. Rubber models seem to sting a lot less when they fly away...
They make some really light and inexpensive RC model receivers
and servos now .
Here is a 6 channel, receiver, with 2 built in linear servos, along with
a 6 axis gyro ; 6-grams , and only $-60 :

A used Transmitter with 5 channels , will usually go for $50.

Seriously --- the technology, that's available today ; it's mind-blowing
and cheep !!!

Bille

Appowner

That’s nice. V engines are cool.
I am old fashioned and want to do a rotary radial as a two stroke with glow. I have a 1/4 Camel RC in need.
Been done by several people. Right now there's a German producing 4 stroke rotaries, 7 and 9 cylinders I believe. Not sure the displacements. Not cheap and a year or more wait.

Here's some videos of others:

RC Rotary Engine

Another

Last One

TFF

I have multiple blueprints for 4 strokes but I figure a two stroke like the radials made in the mid 80s with K&B cylinders would be perfect. I want to take out some of the complication. I would like to make it a diesel except that you can’t adjust compression while spinning. I will get to it one day.