New Tractor Gyro

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wanttobuild

I have a ultralight gyrocopter design and will be building 6 annually starting January 2021.
Power will be whatever the buyer wants, but is modelled with a 503. I am gonna use a 503 with a large 68 or 70in prop.
The prerotator is a drive shaft driven bendix powered with a 20 volt variable speed 1/2in drive impact.
The fuselage is constructed with CFRP tube hand layup on foam. The tube is square.
$14,456 ready to fly.
Look for a website next January.
The name of this taildragger is
"Super Bon Bon"

wanttobuild

Much appreciated Tom

And you are right about the pics, but at the present time I am gonna keep the carbon fiber tube clusters under wraps for now

crusty old aviator

What will you be using for rotor blades?
Hand laid square tube? Unicloth longitudinally or Bidirectional laid on the bias? Or both? Good luck figuring out how to make the corners strong without adding a lot of weight, unless you decide to go with extruded...it’s hard to beat round cross sections for strength to weight and easier fabrication, so I’ll be interested to learn your approach and how well it works for you!

wanttobuild

Crusty

I think I am gonna buy the blades, rotor head and tetter bar. Several mfg to choose from.
The tube fuselage out of carbon will be scrutinized by many people looking to produce there own version, so until launch no details will be provided.
The fuse provides welded like behavior, a little lighter than 4130 and really resistant to the elements.

wanttobuild

I have been refining the details of the tractor and I have come to the conclusion that bolted alum tube is a much better approach. The first one will be carbon but the rest will be alum. It takes a lot of time to hand knit the cluster reinforcement, but it is sweet. The carbon method can't be manufactured, but it does look like a 4130 cluster.
HeeHee