• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New old engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Eagle

I have been looking for many many years at different types of engines that could be used for aircraft. It seems that most use a re-drive and use a very high RPM, I mean over 3,600 RPM. I'm not at all comfortable with 2 stroke engines anywhere, I have never had good luck with them dating back to the fifties. I owned a Cessna 175 with a geared prop, and at cruise I ran around 3,000 RPM with never any trouble at all, but you could tell a big difference in sound compared to the 172, same engine, no gear.

The engine type I think has the best of all the engines is the radial. Long stroke, low compression, low rpm, cylinders as needed, and a great safety record ,as far as I know.
Rotax builds such and engine, but 15,000 + puts it well out of my range. Why can't someone build an engine like this that you could simply add cylinders as need, using a standard case, and other common items and sell it for under five thousand dollars? Maybe there is enough expertise right here to design such an engine, and enough interested people to finance it. I don't think anyone is going to build an engine for us that most of us and potential builders can easily afford. Any ideas?

Gil

Back