• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mid-Air at Corona

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

http://cbs2.com/local/Corona.Plane.Crash.2.634244.html

This is the airport I fly from - I flew the C-150 involved here for about 20 hours over the last couple of years. Can't say I 'knew' the pilot of the 150, but I have seen him around. Sad to see an airplane you know well in pieces on the ground. I saw the first two digits of the tail number on the news and sure enough, this morning went I went to the airport the business I rent from was still surounded by media vans and 4008Victor was missing.

If a mid-air was going to happen at Corona, it would have happened right in that spot; E-W traffic goes through the gap in the hills, people use the freeway for navigation and it's right on the 45 entry point for 25.

I have to say that traffic that isn't based here frequently does not observe local rules, flies straight-in approaches or hugely extended base legs at weird altitudes etc.

Moral to all this? The usual I suppose - keep your eyes outside the cockpit in the pattern. These were both high wing Cessnas; it was not a case of a high and low wings being in each other's blind spot.

I hate to think what the media would have made of this if it had happened to
airplanes "glued together by amateurs in their garages"......

Back