Looks like it is Corvair power for my Vari-EZE

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
This fellow has some solid information...
Having read everything on that web page, and having interacted with him a number of times with respect to actually collecting data and interpreting it, let's just say that Mr. Camarda's statements about many subjects should be taken with a few grains of salt.

As Ms. Englert says "Either can work equally well in flight if it is done right."

dwalker

Having read everything on that web page, and having interacted with him a number of times with respect to actually collecting data and interpreting it, let's just say that Mr. Camarda's statements about many subjects should be taken with a few grains of salt.

As Ms. Englert says "Either can work equally well in flight if it is done right."
I have never spoken to him, but I have a mutual friend/acquaintance that speaks to him regularly and they seem to get along.
Marc, I actually take all data with a grain of salt until I verify it for myself, and in general just run my own test program. I spent two decades in auto racing at many levels including vintage, club, and Pro, eventually owning my own team and working directly with manufacturers/engineers in various projects.
I literally cannot tell you how many times an engineer. manufacturer, or official told me something as "documented fact" that was not in any way shape or form accurate and not backed with data, and when presented with actual data it was ignored. I also got pretty good at sniffing out data manipulation.
I also very much hate it and instantly stop "listening" when people tell me the reason to do something is "because we always have done it that way".

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I also very much hate it and instantly stop "listening" when people tell me the reason to do something is "because we always have done it that way".
A good philosophy. The only time "because that's the way we've always done it" is a valid description of a process is when you're discussing the way that your grandmother cooked your Thanksgiving turkey. In all other instances, it's an excuse not to think and improve.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
In all other instances, it's an excuse not to think and improve.
That depends on the grandmother's results ............. BTTWADI may even be the best reason to change the process. My mother would have been in that group. Learned a lot from her, but how to cook was never going to be on that list.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
"We've always done it that way" gives little useful info except :"Here's the baseline process that can serve as a reference for any potential improvement."

But if you can find the person who knows why " we've always done it this way", it is possible there is worthwhile knowledge to be had just for the asking. Test the stated rationale if warranted, but knowing the rationale is useful.

Nobody lives long enough to make all the mistakes for himself.

Last edited:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
There are a lot of very stong opinions in the corvair camp regarding the rear starters used on one of the conversions. Do your research. I can't figure out how it could be that big a deal, but some whos opinions I think carry some weight do.

dwalker

There are a lot of very stong opinions in the corvair camp regarding the rear starters used on one of the conversions. Do your research. I can't figure out how it could be that big a deal, but some whos opinions I think carry some weight do.
I choose not to get caught up in the WW vs Bill Clapp/the world drama. None of their opinions matter, only what they can prove out, with actual data. I'm especially suspicious when one vendor criticizes anyone that does the same but slightly different thing than they do, and/or discounts everyone else's experiences. I'm looking for technical data, not a new religion.

rv7charlie

If you want to be a real heretic, install one of these, instead of that extra bearing. Lower stress on the engine due to lower BMEP, even with slightly more power output. Toughest thing might be getting a narrow enough ratio to run those small dia VE props.

dwalker

If you want to be a real heretic, install one of these, instead of that extra bearing. Lower stress on the engine due to lower BMEP, even with slightly more power output. Toughest thing might be getting a narrow enough ratio to run those small dia VE props.
Those are very interesting, and might be a good alternative to the Marcotte PSRU I was planning to use for the 13B Turbo.

Daleandee

I gave my opinion on this (knowing that opinions are like armpits ... everyone has a couple that stink):

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Molt Taylor used cooling fans on his pushers. Need enough static pressure to flow for the horsepower required. Pushers have less pressure.
Chris Falconar's VW Conversion manual used a cooling fan as well for pusher installations, mounted Forward of the prop, from .100" Al, twisted to suit the airspeed. It also has suggestions for both updraft and downdraft baffling for pusher installations. I have no idea where you might buy a copy nowadays, as Chris has either retired or passed on. As of this date, there IS a source for his plans, Manna Aviation but the VW conversion information is not listed.

Bill-Higdon

Did the Varieze flyer explain to you that it's impossible to inspect the areas of the wing attach fittings that have failed in flight or have been found to have massive corrosion issues, even while the areas of the wing attach fittings that are visible look perfectly fine? I have seen the one that failed in flight, and have another with extreme corrosion that had eaten away 1/2 - 2/3 of the thickness of the attach fitting, and left the rest looking like crap, but would have been completely invisible from the exterior.

This is the single biggest issue with Variezes - you can't inspect the wing attach fittings, so understanding the provenance of the airplane - where did it live its life - how was it cared for - was it hangared 100% of the time - did it live on the coast or in a dry place, etc., is critical. The 2.5G limit was an inadequate stopgap measure that became permanent - it's completely unnecessary for aircraft that have no corrosion, and it's completely inadequate for those that do.

This is the note I put into any Condition Inspection Residual List Report that I provide for any Varieze on which I perform a CI:

Safety Related Residual Items:

Both Wing Attach Fittings (ALL VARIEZES) - Due to the inherent design from RAF, it is not possible to check for internal corrosion of wing attach fittings. I recommend removing wings at alternate CI's and checking externally for corrosion, with the understanding that without ~40 - 100 hours of disassembly/reassembly, a full inspection of the fittings and full confidence in the condition of the fittings is not possible. Plan on wing removal for more extensive examination at the 20XX CI. Obey RAF's +2.5G / -1.5G limits.​
Are the but end of the aluminum accessible?

dwalker

Well folks, after some inspection regarding the Wing Attach Points Marc mentioned, I have definite issues in both wings. I feel like at the end of this trail I will be building a set of Vari-EZ wings, and potentially a wing spar. Building a set of wings is not the worst thing, and certainly the preferable option to an unplanned mid-air disassembly event.
At some point I will take a ride- and maybe the wings/fuselage- over to Covington and have the Jetguys dig into it for a hands-on opinion. Until then, the project is shelved and will be banished to the warehouse. I will still move forward with the Corvair powerplant though, because at some point the VE will find the sky again.

I should also say that I am using Corvair power for my Dragonfly as well, so doing two is as easy as doing one ;)

Last edited:

Daleandee

an unplanned mid-air disassembly event.

That terminology just sounds like something I'd want to avoid!

I should also say that I am using Corvair power for my Dragonfly as well, so doing two is as easy as doing one ;)

I've got another core engine (1964 long stroke) that we began the disassembly on but never got that part completed. Too many other things getting in the way. Retirement may be coming soon so I may get back to it. Wanted to build a Pietenpol but don't have a building space at the moment... but that might be different soon.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Consider building a LongEZ. The LE uses an entirely different wing attachment, one that accommodates the peculiarities of composite materials a lot better than what's on the VE.

dwalker

Consider building a LongEZ. The LE uses an entirely different wing attachment, one that accommodates the peculiarities of composite materials a lot better than what's on the VE.
I have a Long EZ as well.

I have a Dragonfly Mk3(ish) ready for controls,wiring, paint and powerplant, the Vari-Eze, which is in an nebulous state now, and a Long-EZ on gear. Since I am doing pretty much the same thing on the Dragonfly as I am on the Long, I am doing those in sort of an "assembly line" manner. That is to say, while I have the tools out cutting tubing and welding flanges and mounts, running cables, building interior panels and building wiring harnesses, it is fairly EZ to just move from one to the other as tasks are completed. Once the interiors are painted, the Dragonfly will get its final paint, have the engine mounted, and might even fly, while the Long gets its wings, canard, and strakes built out before it gets its shiny paint. Being retired and able to walk from my back door to my airplane "shed" helps, but we will see what happens when the projects move to the hangar stage.