Looking for info, research or discussions on reflected or deflected propwash

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

yankeeclipper

Does anyone know of any experimentation done with some sort of propwash corrector or deflector that would function like a contra rotating prop system? If effective, it would sure be lighter and simpler than one. To clarify, I'm imagining something like the "settling chamber" in a wind tunnel.

orion

What's your application? Are you talking about accounting for the "P" factor that's encountered during climb (and a bit during cruise) or are you talking about the issue of prop swirl?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be done, but I suspect it would create more drag than ailerons (for torque effect) or rudder (for P-factor) as ailerons and rudder have much more leverage than vanes close behind the prop.

I was considering something like that for a PPG, to counteract torque and possibly even act as weightshift steering... but the required surface size would be too unwieldy.

-Dana

"Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!"

yankeeclipper

Well, there's the loss of streamwise thrust (to lateral or spiral thrust), and there's also the p-factor which I imagine must be a nuisance (or maybe not). As I've read, these were the targets of contra-rotating props--essentially an alley-oop of thrust. But I wasn't aware (per Dana) that the required surface would be large enough as to significantly diminish any gains in thrust with drag losses.

Latest posts

Group Builder