List your setbacks.......

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by MadProfessor8138, Jul 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 19, 2019 #1

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I'm pretty sure that everyone that is building an aircraft has encountered times that have aggravated them with the project and made them step back and regroup to keep their sanity.
    List your setbacks or obstacles that you overcame during your build.

My Stork RW19......

1. Plans are very disorganized
    2. Part #'s listed on plans are obsolete now
    3. Some materials called for are hard to find if not impossible
    4. Specific parts used on original are no longer available and the modern replacements are extremely $ pricey $
    5. Manufacturer/supplier catalogs & websites do not provide needed information prompting a lengthy journey to obtain the information requested
    6. Shipping costs are outrageous
    7. Tools have not worked properly and needed returned

Those are just a few of the issues that I have dealt with during my build.
    I'm no where near giving up but I do have to step back at times and take a deep breath.
    Surely I'm not the only one.....

Kevin

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Jul 19, 2019 #2

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

I received my RV-8 empennage kit as a late Christmas present in 1999. Transferred to the Fleet Reserve from Navy active duty in Feb 99. I figured a Navy pension and a new job, making more than I made in the Navy, would allow me to build, at a slow pace. And, by the time I was ready to spend the big bucks on engine and avionics, I'd have my 2nd career well underway and the kids college would be paid for, ahead of time through savings bonds and dual 529 plans. Not so fast!

-Job didn't pan out, it took nearly a year to find steady employment as a wrench turner on the floor of a major repair depot.
    -9/11/2001 happened. As the airlines started parking jets, my employer started laying off. Got called back and worked there 2 more years. But, with no chance of moving off the floor as a basic wrench turner, I decide to start looking for something else.
    -No good job options in the area. Relocating not feasible. Back to college for 2 years to train for high demand job.
    -Kids hit college, find out that everything is way more expensive than I planned.
    -Finally, start seriously building again. And, ....wife diagnosed with major illness. Her treatment leaves her weak, sick and sensitive to smells and noise. I decide I'd be a heel to be out in the garage making noise and spraying primer.

So, parts, plans. Nah, no problems there! Now, all's good. Eating the elephant one bite at a time.

3. Jul 19, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

My job. It sure eats up most of my days. I kind of like the search for parts and materials. Spending is really the hardest, not because it’s money going out as much as value. Is what I’m buying worth what I have to pay for it. Shipping has always been outrageous. My old house had an old addition that was not quite finished and it had some odd bricks for today. House was made in ‘52. I could get the bricks from California. Minimum order covered everything and only $50. $350 shipping.
    It’s about the journey. You just get an airplane as the booby prize.

4. Jul 19, 2019 #4

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

8. Women dont like airplanes around here,therefore,no boobies for a prize.
    That qualifies as an obstacle......lmao

Kevin

5. Jul 19, 2019 #5

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Bought a bandsaw from an online auction a couple of days ago that was missing the motor. "Need" it to rip wood for laminating. I have motors. When I picked it up I found it also missing the upper wheel assembly. I've got 350# of iron.....

6. Jul 19, 2019 #6

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I bought a new wood planer the other day and for the life of me couldn't get the **** thing to work.......the blade was too short.
    Had to return it.....

Not nearly as big a deal as your bandsaw debacle.....but still aggravating.

Kevin

7. Jul 19, 2019 #7

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

N804RV.......so how have things progressed for you ?
    Wife alright ?
    Career better ?
    Project underway again ?

Kevin

8. Jul 19, 2019 #8

Pops

Pops

Pops

Daughter and I restoring her 1947 Cessna 140. Washed down and Cleaned the paint booth for about 4 hrs. Then put the exhaust fan on for a while to help get any dust sand lint out of the air. Filtered inlet and outlet. Blew up a couple large trash bags with air, tied up and put in corner of the booth to attract any lint in the air, grounded the wing to the building steel, etc. Putting the last coat of Poly-Urathane on the last wing. Large moth with about a 2" wing span can from nowhere and landing in the middle of the fresh paint and started flapping his wings. Cost another day of painting and more of the expensive paint. Darn, Darn and double Darn.

9. Jul 19, 2019 #9

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

You gotta love bugs....they find a way in no matter how secure you make the paint booth.

I've had almost that exact scenario happen several times.....pretty much done and everything looks fantastic.....then BAM,here comes the bugs at the last instant.

Kevin

Pops likes this.
  10. Jul 19, 2019 #10

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

9. When you put up an ad because you need an item...and people respond within an hour saying they have exactly what you need.
    You reply back to shoot a price for the item.......and then.................CRICKETS !!!
    I very much dislike these types of people...they have wasted your time.

Kevin

11. Jul 19, 2019 #11

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

When you want to go check out a plane to buy on the other side of the continent... But your refurb has been in "2 more weeks" mode for months...

I did spend another 90mins in a Q200 this morning, at least it made it so I couldn't yell at people for a while ;)

12. Jul 20, 2019 #12

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I spent way too long and too much money building a shop for my project to reside in.

Then, we suddenly wound up with a newborn baby (adoption).

Then, my wife needed brain surgery and wound up having a stroke during the procedure. She's doing great now, though.

All three were well worth it (well, priceless in the latter two cases) but they have delayed my build by several years (due to time and money).

That doesn't include all the dead ends and rework and second-guessing on the build itself.

13. Jul 20, 2019 #13

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

All the above. Lack of money, time, etc. A wife who dislikes anything to do with airplanes ( you should have heard it when I bought my bike!!). Earning a living takes lots of time, esp. when you run your own company. One advantage is that I get to hide my project at my warehouse. An aneurysm also took up time. But I still try to get some things done on the bitd. Got the brakes straightened out this PM.

14. Jul 20, 2019 #14

narfi

narfi

narfi

I think it depends on the angle, and thickness and experience, but for most small brackets I just make a couple out of scrap and use the one that is closest to what I wanted.......

Wife told me after I finish the boat that I am not spending money on fun projects till she has new floors, bathroom, kitchen, windows and decks......

15. Jul 20, 2019 #15

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I totally understand several of the issues that you guys are describing because I've been there myself.
    I'm a single parent,mortgage,self employed,drive 3 hours a day just commuting and work a 9 hour day,take care of the kiddo/house/house work/4 acres......and I take care of my mothers place which is an hour away also.
    Time is a very valuable commodity for me.
    Let's not even talk about finances....ugh.

One issue that I have never understood though.....and please,I hope nobody is offended when I make this comment.
    Why the hell is anyone with someone that doesnt support their interests?
    That's pretty selfish of your partner not to want you to be happy.
    I bet they're happy as can be when you work yourself in the ground to pay the bills.....but then complain when you want to persue something that brings you happiness......wow.
    I had one like that,the kid calls her mom,and I put my boot in her a** 7 years ago and told her not to look back.
    Its lonely at times but I dont have anyone to answer to except the kiddo and myself.
    Like I said,I hope nobody is offended by that.......I just refuse to let someone use me anymore or tell me how I'm going to spend the little time that I have on this Earth.

Kevin

16. Jul 20, 2019 #16

TFF

TFF

TFF

Hopefully everyone is taking care of their family. Hobby stuff is always the extra.

I do find that a big part of the population don’t have hobbies. Hobbies are pretty definitive. Besides the objects, it’s the time the non hobbyist does not understand. Object and time. Being social is many of their relaxation. Connecting with people Seems be their hobby, But there is no thing involved. No stamps, golf clubs, airplane, fishing rod to tweak or tune or learn about. Their minds are in more of a survival mode; food, job, place to stay. Hobbyists have time to think about stuff other than surviving. Spending time and money on non survival, instead of socking it away and working more to sock more away. Why work so hard at something that is not being profitable. Especially an airplane that might take a decade to build and cost in the end up to a years salary.

I can tell you my biggest hindrance is me. Me just doing what I need to do.
    I have too many interests. They all eat time, and many are in flux instead of finished. Hot rodders use to say a car in primer had potential. A car painted was done. Good, bad, the story was over. The question is it more entertaining or satisfaction for the brain to think about potential or to be done.

pictsidhe, narfi and Pops like this.
  17. Jul 20, 2019 #17

narfi

narfi

narfi

This.

Hopefully my post was not seen in a negative light...... My wife has been very supportive of my hobbies, and works 3 jobs herself, I have a winner! I should and Do want to give her the things she desires as well.

18. Jul 20, 2019 #18

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Nobody's posts are seen in a negative light,not at all....we are all individuals with different perspectives on life.
    What works for one may not work for someone else....that doesnt make it right or wrong.

The only reason I made the comment that I did was because I know a few guys that literally hide their planes from their spouses,are unappreciated in their family position and to be honest,I can't stand to be around their significant others because they expect me to feel ashamed that I dont answer to someone for my actions.
    It's just a conflict of personalities......I've always had the viewpoint that if you dont pay my bills or snore in my face then I really dont care about your opinions.

I just think that I've been single for too long.......lol
    If you've got a good one.....then treat her the way you want to be treated.

Kevin

19. Jul 20, 2019 #19

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

TFF....I was the same way.....too many hobbies and nothing getting finished.
    To fix that.....I sold my boat at the beginning of the summer,turned the plate in from my motorcycle and my V8 Fiero is setting right now.
    I'm concentrating on just flying the Tomahawk and building the Stork this year......nothing else.
    I keep telling myself its discipline.....lol

Kevin

MadRocketScientist and Pops like this.
  20. Jul 20, 2019 #20

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Too much junk, too many half finished projects. I thought I needed more space. but I don't, I need less stuff in the space I used to have...
    It's slow and painful, but I am getting rid of stuff.
    Practical setbacks? they are just hurdles along the way. The latest one being that I thought I had my redrive design nailed. But since I am small fry, Lord Rubber can't be bothered to give me tech info I need. That isn't insoluble, but it means I am now unlikely to use a rubber torsional element. Another big one is getting a specific brand of coroplast. I can easily get corrugated plastic, but I won't know who made it or be reliably to get the same stuff again. I'd like to design around a specific product, not one unknown batch. To the manufacturers, I am small fry, and should deal with distributors. The distributors don't want me to know what brand they are selling, as it can vary...