• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Let's Talk Hangars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMD

Well, the section is indeed called "Hangar Flying", so let's fly some hangars.

As I posted in "Members Only" I think we should have a forum just for hangars - building, insulating, doors, wiring, permitting, designing, building....all that stuff. Of course, I DO have an ulterior motive. I have been trying to build my "ultimate shop" on our farmland just outside of town, and it will indeed need to be able to accommodate an airplane (thus airplane door is a big deal).

Meant to start in 2020, but Wuhan Virus kind of screwed that up and in 2021 the price of building materials makes my cash savings worth 1/2 or less so need to be VERY creative on how I am going to pull this off.

So, to start things rolling: My new shop is planned to be 48' inside width and I want to put a 36' or 38' bifold door on the South side. Door will have to have sufficient opening to clear a semi, so 14' is minimum. Shop will probably be 20' walls as I need to get hook of overhead cranes above 14' so lots of room for truss over door and for bifold to stop at some angle. Also want to put as much window in the top pannel as I can afford. Whole thing needs to be extremely well insulated (will probably skin with 4" MIPs) and needs to be absolutely weather tight when closed. Have a million questions about hinges, winches, drums, cables, window frames, latches, rubber seals, etc. Oh: South opening so thus the window on top door panel (do NOT want anyone to be able to see in through bottom door at vehicle or walking height - remote area and security a bit of an issue).

Last edited:
Back