• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Leading Edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Me109dvr

I was wondering about protecting the paint on the leading edge of my wings. I found a product from aircraft spruce, which if I recall correctly is a vinyl or clear plastic? This application applies directly over the leading edge. However, I had an idea that I might remove the paint and polish out the leading edge. That might lend its self to the over all look. Your thoughts?

At one time this leading edge protector was factory on Cessna planes especially the 152. The bad part is that once it starts pealing away it causes more problems then it fixes. Cessna no longer uses this add on strip, optioning for better paint and frequent washing and polishing from what the A&P's have told me. Cleaing the leading edge after each flight and using a finger nail brush to add very small amounts of paint into chips will go a long way to preventing the leadings edge from getting beat up. And of course not hitting the hangar or other hazards! Polishing may or may not be better, since this will also be exposed to flight conditions. Care of the surface will determine most of the longevity. Avoiding flights in the rain, or other precipitation, and off airport runways, especially sand and gravel, will minimize wear and tear.

Have fun. I just received my plans for the IIL-S yesterday, so my building journey begins!

Colin Rainey
Ormond Beach, FL.

Colin,

Congratulations on starting your IIL-S. Even though I bought my IIL-S, this site has been great help. Thanks for the feedback.

Don

That's where I screwed the pooch! I have Stits for covering and I painted the whole plane with Poly-Tone. Great for the Stits. Bad for the wings. I have orange peal like crazy and it does not take long for the wings and cowling to be marked up by non off-airport operations. I hope to recover/repaint later in the year however, I just hope it can maintain until then.

Don

Back