• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone find a source to purchase from? If not, please let me know and I'll look into making a batch. I have access to presses up to 600 tons and can easily form these on our newer lower tonnage machines. Will check on material pricing now.

Can someone confirm the 2024-T351 is the proven alloy? And is cold forming (no annealing before and no stress relieving/heat treat after) the acceptable method?
I wouldn't mind buying a bent blank that was priced right.. Get a man on that!

Sounds like material is only available in plate. Couple ways to get blanks - sawn into straight (6” wide) bars from vendor requiring additional cuts or go to the waterjet table for complete profiles. Before I spend too much time on this, how much do these sell for? The few websites that offered formed gear did not have a price. (That I saw) I’ll go out to more vendors on Monday for more material options and pull out my S2 plans tomorrow to get something in Solidworks.

Did anyone find a source to purchase from? If not, please let me know and I'll look into making a batch. I have access to presses up to 600 tons and can easily form these on our newer lower tonnage machines. Will check on material pricing now.

Can someone confirm the 2024-T351 is the proven alloy? And is cold forming (no annealing before and no stress relieving/heat treat after) the acceptable method?
Could 6061 be used. I think 6" x 5/8 is available in 6061

That is how O'keefe Aero made them. The book from Alcan says when 2024 T3 is cold formed the forming process hardens the aluminum. Therefore the designation is amended to 2024-T6. That's part of the AME/A&P course i took 50 (gasp) years ago. Bill

Bratex is a good source for gun drills, if you have a way to drive one and decide to add that feature.
I've bought maybe 1/2 dozen there, for pennies on the $. Since it is a surplus store, size and length options vary but it is a market segment Bob seems to want to focus on.
https://bratexservicesllc.com/
smt

S2 Gear from 5/8" thick material in Solidworks ...will continue the hunt for material options tomorrow.

LandingGear_S2_ScreenshotDwg.pngLandingGear_S2_Screenshot.png

Attachments

• LandingGear_S2.pdf
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like material is only available in plate. Couple ways to get blanks - sawn into straight (6” wide) bars from vendor requiring additional cuts or go to the waterjet table for complete profiles. Before I spend too much time on this, how much do these sell for? The few websites that offered formed gear did not have a price. (That I saw) I’ll go out to more vendors on Monday for more material options and pull out my S2 plans tomorrow to get something in Solidworks.
It looks like they will cut the plate. Try the size app at the side and see the price change for more then 2 strips. Is this what you were looking for..??
https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/2024aluminumplate

I don't recall exactly. But my best guess is that it cost about $500 US, By the time I got it to Canada, the price was almost double in $CDN.

I don't recall exactly. But my best guess is that it cost about $500 US, By the time I got it to Canada, the price was almost double in $CDN.
The gear that I have also have the leading edge rounded or radiused.

I called Grove landing gear co. today.. NO landing gear..!!

Are other option available. WTF
Are you looking for 5/8” or 1/2” for your S1? I’ve got a 1/2” hanging in the rafters in my porch with nothing to do

Are you looking for 5/8” or 1/2” for your S1? I’ve got a 1/2” hanging in the rafters in my porch with nothing to do
On the 5th post of this thread page one is a E-mail address on the side of the post Contact me using it. I am interested "M" I tried to get " planda31 " to contact me to buy his.

My sonerai project is pending, including the 1/2" landing gear. Sorry I didn't get back to you.

I have 5/8” Sonerai gear sitting in my hangar. The legs have been drilled for axles. There is a lot of surface corrosion. I’m using 1/2” gear for my project (480# dry weight). Just pay for shipping. PM me if you’re interested.

Back