• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laminar vs. Turbulent at low speeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyeurger

Hello,
I am customizing a hovercraft to fly in ground effect, maybe OUT of ground effect in some far off future. I am using a composite,high A/R, low mounted elliptical wing of my design and manufacture.
Question: I am using carbon fiber for my sandwich material mainly because nothing looks cooler to me. Certainly I can go laminar flow on the section design with carbon fiber (and without ellipse), but at 70 or 80 MPH tops, does it matter if I go turbulent or laminar? Is there any benefit to be gained with a laminar airfoil at low speeds? I realize the stall characteristics of laminar wings are more pronounced, but, at these speeds?
Also, again at these speeds, if I use a real good foam, can I get by using unidirectional (span-wise) carbon tape overlay and underlay reinforcements in lieu of spars (10 foot half-wings/48in. cord)?
What do you think?
Thanks very much.

Back