Quantcast

Kolb Ultrastar vs Kolb Firefly

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Goat aspects i desire to keep: simple fastened structure, car toppable, 103 legal, hill launch to share HG sites.

Austin
How attached are you to car toppable? Car toppable and quick assembly generally seem to be mutually exclusive. The old 'bag of rags, wire and tube' hang gliders were tolerable years ago because they were all that was available. The Mitchell B-10 is car toppable but even it is easier to load on a trailer.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Those are nice gliders, but not the ones that I was asking about. Their web site mentions that they are working with a couple of ultralight manufacturers, so one may be Kolb. Did I miss a link to the modified Kolb?

BJC
That is the FaceBook page of the group that was at Oshkosh. The glider at the top of the page is a LAK but the one they are working with is a modified Kolb. TFF's link is a link to a thread I started about this group - which has links to the Cupertino group.

The FB page has several videos of the modified Kolb.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That is the FaceBook page of the group that was at Oshkosh. The glider at the top of the page is a LAK but the one they are working with is a modified Kolb. TFF's link is a link to a thread I started about this group - which has links to the Cupertino group.

The FB page has several videos of the modified Kolb.
Thank you.

Does anyone know how the performance of the Kolb and LAK compare?

BJC

b7gwap

How attached are you to car toppable? Car toppable and quick assembly generally seem to be mutually exclusive. The old 'bag of rags, wire and tube' hang gliders were tolerable years ago because they were all that was available. The Mitchell B-10 is car toppable but even it is easier to load on a trailer.
I think anything that fits on top of a hang glider rack would probably fit on a flat bed trailer just as easily. :) I’m fine with goat-as-drawn assembly complexity/times.

Aesquire

Just a reminder/clarification.

There is no regulatory top speed on pt103 gliders, helicopters, or gyroplanes.

However, most gyros in pt103 are limited to the same 63 mph top speed by the manufacturer for sales and simplified explanation. Some can exceed that speed safely, but that's more a power available issue and rotor design than anything else.

As for gliders, I was told if I can get it up to 150 knots, they'd be impressed. Since everything 103 I've ever flown would have a hard time doing that assembled going straight down........ I never worried about it. In the shipping crate doesn't count.

The Sparrowhawk goes pretty darn fast, you can easily pass that hypothetical FAA guy in a Cub, and he won't blink an eye. If I did that in a flex wing glider, I'd be past VNE, but he still wouldn't care. Not his monkeys, not his circus.

cptcliffhanger

no glider that I'm aware of can maintain any speed indefinitely in straight and level flight.. unless you're in lift, but that isn't the aerodynamic equivalent of straight and level flight, that's the aerodynamic equivalent of being in a dive equal to the rising air mass.. soooooo every unpowered airplane in a steady air-mass, in straight and level flight will eventually stop flying..