Quantcast

Klingberg Wing is almost ready to fly

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

peter hudson

As Rol Klingberg is wrapping up his build and getting ready to test, and since it's Christmas time, I thought it was a good time to share my X-plane model of his new MKII wing.

..and a short video on how the special controls work at:

Happy holidays, I hope you enjoy it!
-Peter-

screen.png

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Last time I played with X-plane was 8.xx. Looks like a lot has been added over the years.

Did they delete the yaw string option?

peter hudson

Last time I played with X-plane was 8.xx. Looks like a lot has been added over the years.

Did they delete the yaw string option?
One can choose to model a yawstring but with the steep angle of the windscreen on this one I didn't think it would work well. Plus, Rol is not currently planning to have active rudder control, so a yawstring would tell you about things you cant fix. I think the rudder control will be something most people really want (perhaps including Rol after he flies it!)

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
His rudder system is something I have thought might work for a long time. Will be interesting to see how it does in the real world. If it performs as intended I'll copy it. ;)

The yaw string might be a quick way to visually see if the x-plane version of his rudder works as expected and let you tune the plane if there is any unwanted adverse yaw?
Might even help with sorting out the real world version.............

peter hudson

His rudder system is something I have thought might work for a long time. Will be interesting to see how it does in the real world. If it performs as intended I'll copy it. ;)
Funny that's one area we discussed a lot when I made the model. I had to make a special "plug-in" to get the "auto-yaw" per his design. The model flew worse. I did some force and moment calcs for yawed positions with and without the free trailing rudders and decided that I disagreed with his theory.

With "auto-yaw" the trailing rudder floats free and only has zero lift drag (what Rol wants to help the trailing wing go back forward). But it ignored the lift component of that rudder if you left it fixed instead of free to pivot. That sideways lift on the trailing rudder has much more restoring moment. With fixed rudders the X-plane model flew better, but with a 15M span it still had a lot of adverse yaw. In the end, the model has some rudder mixed in with the roll inputs to make a nice flyer.

Rol can easily fix the rudders during testing, and I think I had him convinced that there was some reasonable doubt about auto-yaw (I sent him my math). But his experience with the RC models made him unwilling to abandon the idea for now.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I must have sent Rol K ten or twenty E-mails, just wanting to talk about the original foot launched wing, and he never so much as replied in any way. It still stcks in my craw.

peter hudson

I must have sent Rol K ten or twenty E-mails, just wanting to talk about the original foot launched wing, and he never so much as replied in any way. It still stcks in my craw.
Interestingly, he has the same complaint about not getting his contacts returned to participate in the man-carrying Prandtl wing tests out at El Mirage. Maybe you got him While he was still reeling from it's crash? Or when he was having some heated Email battles over his model wing?

Bille Floyd

I watched Monti , (the pilot) of that glider , crash it at Torrey-pines ; couldn't
believe he lived through it !!! That crash was the reason i was asked to
test fly Danny's glider , (the Apex) . Danny is the engineer who taught
me how to fill a mold with composites .

I had a chance to fly the K-wing , near Temecula Ca ,(the bump); wasn't enough
wind that day , to safely get my heavy ass off the ground.

Bille

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Interestingly, he has the same complaint about not getting his contacts returned to participate in the man-carrying Prandtl wing tests out at El Mirage. Maybe you got him While he was still reeling from it's crash? Or when he was having some heated Email battles over his model wing?

It may well have been after the crash of the first foot launch wing. And yes, I was interested in building something along those lines, and no, Rol Klingberg did not have any obligation to help me with it.

But it is not exactly an enormous number of aviation people who were really interested in the foot launch wings like the Horten Xc, Klingberg's wing, the Moyes version, etc. So you would think he could have the good taste to e-mail me back and say "sorry, I am still reeling from the crash, I can't talk about it right now, no offense but please don't bring this up for the next 15 years", or something like that.

By contrast, if a guy with credentials and brains like Al Bowers can take a moment of his time to discuss these things with a non-scientist like me, and cheerfully put up with my neanderthal-level grasp of this stuff... ?

Again, in all fairness, Klingberg owes me nothing whatsoever, and all I ever was was just another guy who built the 2 meter KW model and was fascinated about a foot launch version. But quid pro quo, I'm not under any obligation to keep my disappointment about it private either.

Bille Floyd

I watched the crash at Torrey ; didn't know about the Prandti crash ?
Two for Two , crashed ; now those , are Not good odds !

What i know about the crash at Torrey :
The right wing had slightly less twist due to a construction error, and in
a stall , the Wing would drop the right wing ...
The glider stalled ; into the cliff, it went.

Bille

Attachments

Bille Floyd

But it is not exactly an enormous number of aviation people who were really interested in the foot launch wings like the Horten Xc, Klingberg's wing, the Moyes version, etc. So you would think he could have the good taste to e-mail me back and say "sorry, I am still reeling from the crash, I can't talk about it right now, no offense but please don't bring this up for the next 15 years", or something like that.
Good taste ?
That would be a NO ; let me tell ya something about Rol Klingberg's :

He wrote this (below), here :
www.delta-club-82.com/bible/660-hang-glider-klingberg.htm
================================================================
"I attempted to recover the remains of the Wing from the test pilot a few months after the crash (years ago) but was unable to do so. In the process, I had extensive discussions with the local law enforcement officials and they pointed out to me that Monty Bell had a number of "encounters" with the local police and was considered to be an on-going problem for them."
================================================================
The problem is, that Monty Bell was from Provo Utah, and had not bin
in the aria of San Diego, long enough to have problems with local
law enforcement. Second -- i was with Monty , almost 100% of the
time ; he Never had a negative encounter with the police, (not even a parking ticket).
So
I'd have to conclude : That Mr Klingberg ; may be a bit less than believable ?

Bille

peter hudson

I watched the crash at Torrey ; didn't know about the Prandti crash ?
Bille
I was referring the the Klingberg Mk1 crash. I don't know for sure what happened with the Prandtl. I think they just stopped testing it without suggesting a reason why. Maybe some concern over the structural integrity of the pilot cage? Maybe just too heavy to foot launch? Maybe some votes of no confidence from the test pilot(s). It would be nice to know for sure. One thing we do know it it isn't out flying around making believers.

peter hudson

"sorry, I am still reeling from the crash, I can't talk about it right now, no offense but please don't bring this up for the next 15 years", or something like that.
OK, that made me laugh...Yes it's a very small community and one would think we would all hang around drinking beers and comparing notes with each other. (at least figuratively as we do on this forum)