Kiel Tube

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dino

HBA Supporter
pitot tube.jpg I'm making a Kiel Tube pitot source to be built into the fairing on the nose of a gyroplane. So far I've got a 32mm ID X 75mm grp tube sealed flush on the inside end and open to the free stream on the other. My question is what is the best way to position the (6mm OD X 4mm ID copper tube) ASI pickup within the tube? Some sources show it about at about the geometric center of the tube pointing forward while others have it centered, at the forward lip.

Last edited:

TiPi

Log Member
check out some of the earlier gliders. I remember on the ASK-13 and the Ka-8 we checked the ASI by pressing the flat hand against the tube in the nose. From memory, there was no tube inside the approx 20-25mm tube in the nose. Your drawing above might give you false readings as the airstream diverts over the nose and there might be a lower pressure at your smaller tube than the actual dynamic pressure. I would cut it flush with the wall of the larger tube as that will have the dynamic pressure. The old gliders did have the tube protruding slightly from the nose though.
upload_2020-2-15_11-56-25.pngupload_2020-2-15_12-0-35.png

dino

HBA Supporter
The drawing is from the BJ 1 Duster. In the wooden gliders this is what I remember too. I've seen many of the composite sailplanes with the ASI pick up recessed deeper in the tube but I don't recall specifics

Attachments