Is it me or does Foreflight/flight planning apps just suck for VFR?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by pfarber, Nov 14, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2019 #1

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Granted IFR is much more complicated, and requires much more documentation onboard, but after bouncing around and testing the 'big' flight planning apps they all just plain SUCK for VFR.

I stuck with forflight thinking it was just the learning curve, but nope. Its so IFR-centric that the 'round peg/square hole' analogy applies.

I'm not unhappy about the 'pay for the advanced stuff', its just that the 'advanced stuff' still doesn't give VFR any love.

I've actually put together (for me, at least) a much better VFR workflow with an excel sheet and links to websites and Foreflight is mainly just a moving map at this point.

2. Nov 14, 2019 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Yup, it’s just you.

BJC

bmcj, wsimpso1 and gtae07 like this.
  3. Nov 14, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

What is it that is not working out for you?

4. Nov 14, 2019 #4

glencessna

glencessna

glencessna

I too never really got comfortable with ForeFlight. I went the FlyQ EFB route. I had been using their PC based flight planning products even before the FlyQ and have been very happy with them. They also were very responsive in August 2015 when I was first trying to integrate the Stratux I had built to FlyQ They eventually worked directly with the Stratux developers to get support integrated. Finally they have been great to visit with at OSH.

5. Nov 14, 2019 #5

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

I like flyQ. I use the efb on my ipad and the insight on my iphone. FlyQ insight doesn't give me much more info than the moving map, but I was thinking that projecting it on a HUD would be better. I use an ADS-b in box I made and have the traffic on the moving map.
    ForFlight is too expensive in my opinion, and slower in adopting new features.
    Xavion is a similar app I have used. It has fewer features but had some safety features others did not.

6. Nov 15, 2019 #6

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

TOC/TOD waypoints do not display on the route. If you add a waypoint manually, you cannot change the name of the waypoint on the flight log. In general, adding waypoints it just not intuitive.

If you annotate the sectional chart, there is no way to turn the annotations on/off (like on separate layer, like there is for User defined waypoints). You can clear them, or leave them.

E-mailing support got me a BS 'great ideal, we'll pass them on'.. sure you will.

7. Nov 15, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

You want it to work like drawing on a paper chart.

8. Nov 15, 2019 #8

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

I don't carry paper charts, so annotating the map is useful. But there is no 'annotations' layer (like user waypoints).

You can't delete just one annotation, you have to remove them all. Could I click on a dozen buttons to get the info I want? Yes, sure. But its easier to just write the CTAF freq on the map, or draw a line for certain nav references. You simply cannot annotate a sectional in Foreflight without hiding other information.

They do it with User waypoints, another layer called 'annotations' should be doable.