Is a half Subaru possible?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Greetings,

I've seen 1/2 VW engines, and 1/3 Corvair engines, but I can't seem to find any info on a 1/2 Subaru. I don't know that much about the Subaru engines, but I was just curious if it's been done, or if it's even possible.

Thanks,
Rusty

nerobro

Log Member
It's been "done" But it's far from easy. when I say it's been done, water cooled blocks have been both cut down, and stretched over the years. There's V-12 GM blocks, and v4 and v6's built off of chevy v8's too. .... It's certianly not easy.

VW, and Corvair are "simpler" because there's no water jackets to think about. Also, they're older tech, and have more garage friendly tolerances. Half VW's are nearly a hacksaw job.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
I hadn't considered the water jacket problem, so that makes sense. That probably explains why I've never heard of one.
Thanks,
Rusty

slociviccoupe

So looking at my subaru and id say yes but not keeping it opposed. You would remove the cylinder bank from the crank case without the waterpump. And then weld on a plate to create an oil pan. Prety much becoming an inline twin.

cheapracer

Log Member
There was a v-twin Merlin, too.
Yes, and I have been to Lucky Kaiser's house, 10 minutes from where I used to live, and had a good look at it.
Beenleigh, Queensland for the Australians.

So looking at my subaru ....
I don't see how one could go past a BMW twin.

You would only go to the trouble for an air cooled engine, VW obviously.

Marc W

Ask and ye shall receive! The following photos are from the June and July 1998 Experimenter magazines.

1595022579055.png
1595022617999.png

Last edited:

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I guess it wasn't a big hit since it was announced over 20 years ago.
Rusty

sotaro

While the Subaru heads are attractive, there are so many engines of the 500-1500cc range that makes building one seem to be an extraordinary investment of time and energy. The 500cc Yamaha Phazer snowmobile engine is in the 70 hp/130 lb range. Liquid cooled with a PSRU, it really only requires assembly with some fabrication. I wonder how the Subaru minus 2 worked? It would have to have a 180 degree crankshaft... I wonder how much it vibrated?